Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: what do you think of this lenovo thinkpad edge
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 pm 

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15.6" LCD, Core i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD Laptop
Think you'd like to get more done while traveling? Think smart ... ThinkPad. The ThinkPad Edge is a portable 64-bit laptop that boasts heavyweight features including an Intel Core i3 processor to help you power through any computing task. It comes with Windows 7 Professional already installed, but you also get a license to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, so you can experience all the benefits of Microsoft's latest operating system. When the day is done, the ThinkPad Edge turns into a multimedia machine you can use to watch movies or listen to your favorite music anywhere.

What you get
•Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15.6" laptop computer
•Rechargeable 6-cell Lithium-ion battery
•65-watt AC adapter
•Windows 8 Pro license

features

Windows 8 Pro operating system upgrade

•Combines speed, reliability and an all-new app interface
•Built-in app store to browse and download apps
•Sign in to any of your devices running Windows 8 and your personalized settings and apps are right there
•Easily connect with your friends and family
•Quickly connect to your files and photos across Windows 8 devices
•Intuitive interface with tabs and navigation controls
•Surf with Internet Explorer 10 for super-fast and seamless browsing
•Pro version includes Windows Media Center, Bit Locker drive encryption and other features for the enthusiast and business professional

HD widescreen display with LED backlight

•Support 720p high-definition video
•See your entire movies, in panoramic wide screen
•Multitask with more open windows on the screen at the same time
•Energy-efficient LED backlight delivers a vivid picture

Spill-resistant keyboard

•Offers peace of mind knowing an accidental liquid spill on your laptop won't damage the it

Wireless N networking

•Offers speeds of up to 300Mbps to wireless transfer files and stream multimedia content

Bluetooth 4.0

•Enables fast, short-range wireless connectivity to compatible devices

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed ports
•Deliver 10 times the data transfer rate of USB 2.0, as well as improved power efficiency
•Backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices

More Features

•Integrated webcam
•HDMI output
•Fast Gigabit Ethernet networking
•Mini PCI Express expansion card slot

Specifications

The Key Specs

Processor:

2.2GHz Intel Core i3 dual-core i3-2328M

Memory:

4GB DDR3 (supports up to 16GB)

Hard Drive:

500GB

Optical Drive:

DVD/CD burner

Display/Monitor:

15.6" LCD with LED backlight (1366 x 768 resolution)

Additional Specs

Operating System:
Windows 7 Professional upgradable to Windows 8 Pro

Memory Card Slot:

Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC and MMC

Graphics:
Intel HD 3000

Audio:
Stereo speakers

Wireless Adapter:
802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0

Wired Network Adapter:
10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
Keyboard:
Spill resistant
Pointing Device:
Multi-touch gesture control touchpad

Ports:
(1) HDMI, (1) VGA, (1) audio out, (3) USB 3.0, (1) USB 2.0, (1) Ethernet LAN

Battery:
6-cell Lithium-ion (up to 5.7 hours per charge)

The Basics

Model #:

E530c (336633U)
Color:
Black

Measurements:
Approx. 14.8"W x 9.7" Deep x 1.4"H

Weight:
Approx. 5.4 lbs.

Power:
65-watt AC adapter

Listing:

Country of Origin:

China

Post subject: Re: what do you think of this lenovo thinkpad edge
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds good, but you didn't include a link to the system specs. Make sure the display is matte (a glossy display is a deal-breaker), and if the HDD isn't 7200 rpm I'd consider upgrading it right away. Let me know how you like it if you end up purchasing. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 pm 

when you say matt display do you mean like 15.6 w HD 1366X786 AntiGlare midnight black.

I would think the hard drive would be 7200RPM. I got that information from www.hsn.com item number in the search box time in item number 113-7759 it the only model they have. for $649.95

I'm trying to find that model E530C (336633U). but the one it comes up with on the lenovo website is a E530 and it don't have the same spec as the one on www.hsn.com

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
when you say matt display do you mean like 15.6 w HD 1366X786 AntiGlare midnight black.

AntiGlare is definitely matte, and that is a good thing!

Quote:
I would think the hard drive would be 7200RPM.

Unlike the display, I consider a HDD a completely replaceable item, in fact I've replaced the HDD in the last several laptops I've purchased immediately upon receiving them. I do that because it is cheaper to get the (faster and often larger capacity) drive I want separately than it is to find a laptop that has one included in the system. In other words, the HDD is not a deal-breaker, no matter what it comes with it can easily be changed if desired. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:34 am 

yes I done some research on this laptop and yes it does have a 500gb hard drive 7200 rpm. and the screen is matte. Going to order it and check it for myself and if i don't like it i can return it to hsn.... for a full refund...

thanks.

on the lenovo website they do have one that all most the same the model number for that one on the lenovo website is 530... with a smaller hard drive....

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:38 am 

Does lenovo thinkpad edge come with crapware on it. Just wondering LOL............

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Admin

I'm actually not sure exactly what comes on those since I reformat and reinstall the OS from scratch on all the ThinkPads I support. I do believe that whatever crapware is included is minimal compared to other systems. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 pm 

I have just got this computer today. it seems to me that this computer running a bit slower for some reason. when open and closing programs and take a bit for it to open or when i exit out of the programs. On my dell E1505 seems this computer with windows vista is faster then that new lenovo thinkpad edge and it pentium dual-core cpu speed is 1.73ghz and 2gb of ram. the vol sounds good and the sound.. that the only iusse i have with this lenovo thinkpad edge and this computer does have 4gb of ram and the hard drive i was wrong it is a 5400 rpm

Scott I also notice that 1TB up to 2tb hard drives some are still only 5400 rpm.

In the meantime i'll update the windows and update the drivers and see if make the computer run better it also at times its a little jerky..... the built in webcam is great.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...the hard drive i was wrong it is a 5400 rpm

In that case you'd see a great improvement by replacing the drive. An SSD would be best, but as fast conventional drive alternative I'd recommend a Momentus XT hybrid drive. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 pm 

We've been getting the T430, T430s, and W530 (and the series' before those) and when I need to create a new deployment image, these are fairly light on crapware, especially compared to many consumer grade computers.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 pm 

I just want to let you know what hard drive that is in this computer and maybe you could give me some input on what to get for a new hard drive. I know you have said to type of hard drive but i'm not a big fan of SSD yet.

Can you tell me by the hard drive that came with the computer what it can support.
What is the bigest size hard drive i could put in it with a 7200 rpm
I'm thinking about getting a seagate hard drive.
thanks.

here is the information I got from the hard drive.
•Manufacturer:

Western Digital Corporation

•Manufacturer Part Number: WD5000LPVT
•Brand Name: Western Digital
•Product Line: Scorpio Blue
•Product Model: WD5000LPVT
•Product Name: Scorpio Blue WD5000LPVT Hard Drive
•Product Type: Hard Drive
•Storage Capacity:500 GB
•Maximum External Data Transfer Rate: 384 MBps (3 Gbps)
•Rotational Speed: 5400 rpm
•Buffer: 8 MB
•Drive Interface: SATA/300
•SATA Pin: 7-pin
•Form Factor: Internal
•Drive Width: 2.5"
•Height: 0.3"
•Width: 2.8"
•Depth: 3.9"
•Weight (Approximate): 3.20 oz
•Green Compliant: Yes
•Green Compliance Certificate/Authority: RoHS

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
I just want to let you know what hard drive that is in this computer and maybe you could give me some input on what to get for a new hard drive.

An SSD would be best, but as fast conventional drive alternative I'd recommend a Momentus XT hybrid drive.

Quote:
I know you have said to type of hard drive but i'm not a big fan of SSD yet.

You would be if you had one. <g> The SSDs I recommend would be up to *6 times* faster than your current drive. That is something you would notice!

Quote:
Can you tell me by the hard drive that came with the computer what it can support.

This document tells me all the detailed specifications about your system.

Quote:
What is the bigest size hard drive i could put in it with a 7200 rpm

You can put in whatever is the current highest capacity drive that is available. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 pm 

Just wondering on the SSD the highest capacity is 512gb.
Does the SSD drive last a long time as the SATA internal hard drive or the old IDE hard drives.

I wonder if this computer could take a Sata internal hard drive 3TB 7200 RMP capacity.

I also was thinking about upgrading the memory too Should I upgrade to 8gb or max it out to 16gb.... Right now it came with 4gb..

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Does the SSD drive last a long time as the SATA internal hard drive or the old IDE hard drives.

Yes, they come with a 5-year warranty, which will outlast the useful life of the system.

Quote:
I wonder if this computer could take a Sata internal hard drive 3TB 7200 RMP capacity.

If you can find a 3TB 2.5" drive that is 9.5mm thick (or less), then yes.

Quote:
Should I upgrade to 8gb or max it out to 16gb....

I would recommend upgrading to 8GB. The system will be long obsolete by the time you would need 16GB. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 am 

About the memory (RAM)

Is it better just to add another 4GB of ram or should I install Just one 8GB of ram.

right now it has the 4gb DDR3 PC3 - 12800.

I'm going out to best buy and look around and see what they got for memory and hard drives.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is it better just to add another 4GB of ram or should I install Just one 8GB of ram.

Just add 4GB to the existing 4GB, bringing the total to 8GB. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:00 pm 

the ram that is install is a PC3 12800 and the speed is 1600mhz

Does the new memory does it need to be the same speed as the one that is all ready in the laptop.

The 4gb of ram I oder is a PC12800 1600mhz DDR3 sodimm.

What would happen if I install a bit slower one like a 4gb DRR3 1300mhz...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:14 pm 

what memory scanner would you recommend for scanning the memory for what type it is the speed etc...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
the ram that is install is a PC3 12800 and the speed is 1600mhz... What would happen if I install a bit slower one like a 4gb DRR3 1300mhz...

Normally when you have 1600MHz memory it runs at that speed, and if you were to add additional memory that is only 1333MHz then the memory controller would detect the slower memory and downshift to run all of the memory at the slower 1333MHz speed. However in your case the memory controller in your i3-2328M processor runs at 1333MHz maximum, so your existing 1600MHz memory is already running at the slower 1333MHz speed. In other words adding 1333MHz memory would be fine since that is the maximum supported speed anyway. For more information, see the specs for your system on page 24 of the Edgebook PSREF document.

Quote:
what memory scanner would you recommend for scanning the memory for what type it is the speed etc...

I recommend CPU-Z for reporting the processor and memory speeds and specifications in a system. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 pm 

FAN Error message came up one time and the fan seems to be working.

on my lenovo laptop computer

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

I believe that message comes from the POST (Power On Self Test) and would be caused by a fan that is spinning too slowly or not spinning at all. Check the fan to be sure it is working properly, and that there is nothing obstructing it. Maybe blow out the ducts with compressed air. It may have been an anomaly, but if it happens again on a new computer like this you might consider having it serviced under warranty. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm 

I guess you didn't read the pm that i sent to you about the fan error so here it is again.

I check to see if the fan spins and it does and have not got that error message again but here is the rest of the pm that i sent to you.

and i'm thinking about sending it back to hsn where i got it for a replacement.

The other day when the lenovo laptop I just got came up one time as it wast booting up and it said fan error. The fan seems to be working like it should. I also install the other memory into the system I have return that DDR3 4GB PC2 12800 member back to the store and that memory cost me $69.86. So I got my moeny back and went to best buy and got the PNY 4gb DDR3 PC3-10666 this should be fine and work with and it said it running at 1333mhz.

I know the fan might be going out but it sounds like it working right because it does speed up to high is there any diagnostic software that can test the fan out.. I don't know if it is the CPU fan or the system fan that cool the computer. Would you know?

I have talk to HSN where I got the computer from and they are going to replace it and this computer is also under warranty and I call the IBM lenovo and ask them what that fan error was and they want me to send it to them for the repair. I really like this computer after adding the 4gb of ram to it faster now. and it would be faster with a faster hard drive and I think the biggest hard drive is going to come at the end of this year 5TB

Thanks for the help
looking to buy the new upgrading and repairing pcs 21st...........

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I guess you didn't read the pm that i sent to you about the fan error so here it is again.

I did see it but hadn't had a chance to respond yet. Note that in general I only respond to technical questions on the public forum, PMs are for personal questions, queries or any topics not suitable for the public forum.

Quote:
I don't know if it is the CPU fan or the system fan that cool the computer.

Most laptops have only a single fan. According to the factory service manual the fan in your system is very easy to remove from the bottom of the unit.

Quote:
...is there any diagnostic software that can test the fan out.

There are programs for monitoring things like temperature and fan speed such as SpeedFan and HWiNFO. Note that programs like this are fairly hardware dependent and do not work fully on all systems.

In your case I'd write off this error if it only happens once, but if it happens multiple times I'd consider invoking the warranty for repair. Actually in my case assuming the fan was indeed the cause of the problem I'd probably forego the warranty return and just buy a replacement fan and install it myself in about 5 minutes. Note that you can find the part number for the fan in the Lenovo Parts Database.

Quote:
looking to buy the new upgrading and repairing pcs 21st...........

Thanks! I should have some available to forum members here for $30 in a few weeks. I will post an announcement when I get them. In addition to the new and updated book I think you will especially like the new DVD that is included. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:11 pm 

update I have sent that laptop back to hsn for a new one. But I do have something i wanted to ask about that laptop that is bugging me.

Why the lenoveo thinkpad edge does the battery drain when it is unplug for a few days. My dell laptop battery never drains.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

When the system is in stand-by/sleep mode there will be a slight amount of power consumed in order to maintain the data in RAM. When the system is completely off it is normal for a lithium ion battery to self-discharge over time, starting with about a 5% loss in the first 24 hours, then tapering to a lower rate of loss. The rate of self-discharge can be affected by many things including temperature, state-of-charge, age, chemistry, etc. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:08 pm 

thats what I was thinking too.

I have another thing that is bugging me on some specs like hsn.com they said that this laptop lenovoe thinkpad edge has a I/O Expansions Mini PCI Express. I couldn't find it in the pdf file unless i mess it somewhere. Where is that I/O Expansions Mini PCI Express...

on both side of that lenovo thinkpad edge on both sides I didn't see a expansions mini pci express slot.....

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 pm 

mini pci express wouldn't be an expansion slot on the side of the laptop. It would be built into the motherboard underneath the physical laptop case. You would look for a screw for access.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

That system has a mini-PCI Express slot on the motherboard for WWAN cards or mSATA SSDs. You access it by removing a cover from the bottom of the system as can be seen on pages 70-73 of the hardware maintenance manual for the system. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 pm 

update I have sent that laptop computer back to hsn and the new one well be here on wednesday the 27th of march.

Now with the hard drive.

I can't find any infomation on what this thie computer can really handle. the model E530C i think it is the same as the E530c I just want to make sure when I buy the hard drive that i'm not going to run into a brick wall and the notebook computer won't support it what i mean the speed and size. I saw somewhere that it said it can support a 1tb hard drive but is there a 1tb SSD.

This is really hard with lenovo website in finding the right information scott. I have look at the part manual the service manual etc and the hardware manual.

I know you have said it before that the computer support any size that is on the store shelf.
but why in the heck would they put a wd 500gb 5400rpm hard drive in it. why not a wd 500 7200rpm. Would a hard drive from best buy would work it said in the manul it has like an air bag for the hard drive so would i need to buy the hard drive from lenovo or could i just get any hard drive and slap it in if it supports it. sorry for being a pain in the butt I just want to make sure that i have the right information.

thanks

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I can't find any infomation on what this thie computer can really handle.

It can handle pretty much any drive you want to install. There are no relevant limitations on speed or capacity, and the "air bag" feature is part of the system and not the drive.

Quote:
I saw somewhere that it said it can support a 1tb hard drive but is there a 1tb SSD.

Yes there is.

Quote:
...why in the heck would they put a wd 500gb 5400rpm hard drive in it.

They did that in order to be able to sell it for the price you paid. I've replaced the factory installed HDD in every laptop I've ever purchased. I put in the drive I want and use the original either for backup or to install in other systems for upgrade or repair purposes. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 am 

Quote:
It can handle pretty much any drive you want to install. There are no relevant limitations on speed or capacity, and the "air bag" feature is part of the system and not the drive.

That what I was thinking.

Well then I guess i'm going to go with the Momentus XT hybrid drive. tell me if i'm wrong is that drive is it part ssd and part sata drive and since i'm going to make the system restore dvd do i need the kit that they say you need. 750GB should be enough and I whould also notice the internet website load faster too then lol I got dsl with max of 7mbps. and then i'll get a external sata hard drive enclosure and use that 500gb 5400rmp hard drive since it has a usb 3.0 port on the laptop orver the usb 2.0 would I notice the speed when backing up data to the hard drive.

I'll let you know what the outcome of this. When I get the replacement laptop computer.

Is there anything else I should know about this drive the momentus xt hybrid drive. like defrag etc..

What ever happen to the Estata port has the usb 3.0 replace the esata port... Mine new laptop don't have a esata port and there is no way to add one.

Tip for everyone else is good to ask questions may learn something new even if you been reparing and building computers for over 100 years. I'm just 100 as a metaphor examples.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:32 am 
Site Admin

You would treat a hybrid drive just like any other conventional HDD, none of the special characteristics of an SSD would apply. Unfortunately most of the new ThinkPads no longer have eSATA/USB combo ports, replacing those with USB 3.0 instead. I say unfortunately because eSATA is faster than USB 3.0 for external drive use. They could have used a combo eSATA/USB 3.0 but for some reason didn't do that either. The higher end models like the T-series have Expresscard slots so they can add an Expresscard eSATA card, plus they also support docks that have eSATA built-in. Since the Edge series does not support docking and has no Expresscard slot, you are unable to add eSATA. In that case USB 3.0 will be the next best thing for attaching external drives. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:48 pm 

Quote:
You would treat a hybrid drive just like any other conventional HDD, none of the special characteristics of an SSD would apply.

So you can do a defragment of that hybrid drive.

Is the 7200rpm is the fastest on they got.

this the one i think might work in it..

Last edited by spiderman on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

You do want to defrag a hybrid drive just like any other standard HDD, and 7200rpm is indeed the fastest version available. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:01 pm 

i add a link to the drive i picked..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+M ... 355&loc=01

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 pm 

Quote:
You do want to defrag a hybrid drive just like any other standard HDD, and 7200rpm is indeed the fastest version available. Scott.

I read that if you defragment these drives it well slow up the drive is that right?.

I just wanted to make sure I e-mail seagate and ask them and this what I got from them

Quote:
Thank you for sending your Seagate E-mail inquiry.

Seagate does not recommend that you defragment the drives. If you have additional questions, please respond to this email.

Regards,

Precious S.
Seagate Global Customer Support

I just got the replacement laptop today. And I was right there was something wrong with that 1st lenovo edge thinkpad beside the fan. Because this new one is lot faster I even slap the other 4gb of ram in it. The new seems to be working. I just wanted to make sure about this seagate hard drive. that if you defrag the hard drive it would slow it down and it said to now to run the anti-virus software to much. I'm going to try to find that link and post it here so that you and others can read it too.

Thanks
spiderman

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hybrid drives do "memorize" the location of commonly used files so that they can be stored in the flash memory for quicker retrieval. Every time you defragment this would essentially reset the process, causing the drive to have to "re-learn" the commonly used files. I'd say that defragmenting is probably a lot less necessary than most people believe, but unlike as with an SSD, it won't do any harm and can do some good. I only defragment my standard HDDs a few times a year, and I recommend the same for hybrid drives. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm 

ok thats make more cents

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:22 pm 

after I shut down the computer and was going to go back and get everything setup as when I bootup this replacment computer it give me the darn fan error message again. Does anyone know what is going on here I know scott said it could be a low power and the fan might not speed up but on two computers. on the replacemnt computer is only came up once time but i'm not sure if the fan it running it seems to be I can feel some air blowing out right you know low to med to high.

I'm thinking the lenovo thinkpads edge are junk and i'm losing fath on them. So I don't know what else to do I can't find anything on http://www.lenovo.com/support and this is getting upsetting here. I just don't want to be stuck with a jucking computer and being out the money. I have 30 days if I need to send it back to get the refund.

I'll mess around and see if it gets really hot and see what it does or it could fry itself.
does anyone know if there a recalls on this E530 or E530c. I have to wait until tomorrow to call lenovo and ask them.

thanks
spiderman

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

If the system was in a cold environment before you powered it on, that type of error might be expected, especially with a new fan that is not "broken in" yet. Also make sure you have installed the latest BIOS for the system. It may not be a problem after all. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 am 

Scott the edge E530c i let it warm up before starting the laptop for the 1st time but after I been on the lenovo and reading there post and about the tech support. Sound to me that this laptop has to many bugs in both model the E530 and the E530c. And the battery drains way to fast on this replacement computer. I'm sending it back to hsn for a full refund and look for another brand laptop computers like an Acer or dell or an gateway This Edge laptop is far the worst i ever seen. and tech support was going to call me back yesterday and never did.

i'm done

THE END
R.I.P LENOVO THINKPAD E530C from www.hsn.com

oh yea that fan error came up two time one last night and one time today. The fan is loud at time. it was fine when i 1st boot up the computer and it was very fast then i shut it down and it went back to the way as the 1st laptop computer did slow and unstable. and it seems the fan it not running at full speed like it shoud when it gets over 40%. So i think they should do a recall on these models and also on the T420 models as well that have fan issues. well i'm going back to the lenovo website and read more on the issues of these laptop computers.

I wish I could find a acer or gateway or a dell laptop with windows 7 pro installed.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Admin

That's strange to get two bad laptops in a row. Hopefully they didn't just send your original one back. For a replacement I would recommend the ThinkPad T-series. The T-series and W-series are the best laptops in the world, and are the only models I use myself. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm 

[quote="Scott"]That's strange to get two bad laptops in a row.quote]

No they didn't because the s/n are is not the same. and it was seal up.
I was going to though one more time and now three times now that fan error message came up. I'm so upset that I put password to get into the bios and get access to the hard drive etc so they are going to have a hard time getting into the system this time so that they can't send that computer back out for someone else to buy.

I'm sorry about this but just piss me off. I really like this computer and with windows 7 pro. I'll look into one of the other models

these two laptop take the cake man

I'm not the only one having fan error message other people are having the same issues and far worst then me.

some people sent their laptop to get fix and they never fix them. oh and get this one the lenovo tech support people never call them back at the time they were going to call them back.

My best guess it not the fan that causing the fan error message it the sencer. I wonder if anyone and lenovo ever test out the hardware before sending them out.

I'm still going to be reading the fourm on lenovo and see how things are going with the edge models. I still think they should do a recall.

I really love windows 7 pro but not as much as i love windows vista.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm 

Quote:
For a replacement I would recommend the ThinkPad T-series. The T-series and W-series are the best laptops in the world, and are the only models I use myself. Scott.

yeah but i like the layout of the keyboard on this E530c.

they cost way to much. beside that i just had it with all thinkpads computers They only got one chance with me and that is it. How ever I found out that the little connetion to the fan to the motherboard was not fully plug in. But i'm still sending it back to hsn for a full refund. I wish I could find aonther latop with windows 7 pro 64bit lot like this E530c is.

i'll just have to keep looking around some more.

thanks.
spiderman

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 pm 

I'm just wondering here and doing some thinking about that fan error. IF ESD could of cause that fan to cause that fan error message to come up on post. I had my Anti- Static wrist strap attach to a screw that is part of the fan right over the cpu. I could find any other spot to attach to it.

I also did some diging about and I did find that you can install a 64bit I7 cpu. I also check on the hard drive that max is only a 750gb hard drive at 7200 rpm to be install in that computer. I talk to this other guy on lenovo website forum and he ad the same thing happen to him woth both computer getting the fan error message on his 1st on then he sent it back and then the 2nd one got the fan error massage to. It seem that lot of people been getting the fan error message. I also know that lenovo knows about this for about 6 months and never fix it since the E430 model. So I don't know if it just a bad batch of fans or a bad batch of motherboards. I HATE WINDOWS 8 MORE THEN YOU SCOTT. and windows 9 don't look any better.

I have sent that laptop back to hsn. and I'm going to wait for a bit and see if they get new ones in they sold out and I hope they got the bad ones sold lol.
and i'm going to try one more again and see what happens.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I found out that the little connetion to the fan to the motherboard was not fully plug in.

That would definitely cause the fan error you were seeing. I hope things turn out better with the next one. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware