Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Fan Error
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:06 pm 

Monday, June 17, 2013

Hello Scott!

I had shutdown my computer and when I started it up again, I got a "FAN ERROR" at the top-left hand side of the screen.

Question 1: Does this error mean that the fan (part 42W2779 according to the parts list -

http://support.lenovo.com/en_CA/product ... MIGR-68171

Question 2: Is this a user-repaceable part and, if so, how difficult is it to replace the fan and what time frame should I expect (i.e. how long should it take, approximately)?

My system is a Lenovo R61, Product 8932CTO with Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300@2.50GHz, 4GB RAM, with a 15.4" screen controlled by the Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family video card.

TIA.

Post subject: Re: Fan Error
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I had shutdown my computer and when I started it up again, I got a "FAN ERROR" at the top-left hand side of the screen.

That means the CPU fan has failed or is in the process of failing. You could try cleaning it (especially if you've never done that before), but if that doesn't help then a replacement would be necessary.

Quote:
Is this a user-repaceable part and, if so, how difficult is it to replace the fan and what time frame should I expect (i.e. how long should it take, approximately)?

It is definitely user replaceable, and the replacement should take 15 minutes or less. You can see documents and videos showing fan removal and replacement here. To see the videos click on "Take Course", to see the printed instructions click on "HMM" and go to the page in the Hardware Maintenance Manual showing fan removal and replacement. Let me know how it turns out, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 pm 

I think I must have been having some browser problems earlier today, as the link you listed above (i.e. "here") was not highlighted nor did anything. However, on returning later, I was able to access the site but had some problems loading the videos.

I am glad to say the problems seem to be resolved and I found the videos in the FRU section to be helpful. Now I just need to order the parts (fan assembly and thermal grease), and hopefully the fix will go without too much trouble.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Paul wrote:
I think I must have been having some browser problems earlier today, as the link you listed above (i.e. "here") was not highlighted nor did anything...

That problem was on this end, I originally forgot to include the link until I was thoughtfully reminded by member FascistNation (thanks!).

Quote:
Thank you very much for your assistance!

You're welcome, I'm happy to help! Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware