Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Can you remove the clock from WinXP?
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 pm 

I'm working on an older Compaq laptop running WinXP Pro SP3 and notice it's not keeping the correct time, which probably means it needs a new CMOS battery. After looking at the service manual for this thing, I'd have to completely take it apart and it doesn't say the battery is even replaceable. Is there a way to just remove the clock from the desktop all together? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Can you remove the clock from WinXP?
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

That laptop has a CR2032 battery which is replaceable. If you don't want to see the clock, merely right click on the clock in the system notification area (tray), select Properties, then under the Taskbar tab uncheck "Show the clock". Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 pm 

I removed the old CMOS battery and soldered on a new one, but it still gives me a "date and time are invalid" error message. I have no idea what to try next.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Where is the message coming from? (BIOS, Windows, other software, etc.) After replacing the battery did you correct the time and date in the BIOS Setup? Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:25 pm 

The error message appears during boot-up. I followed the directions specified in the service manual. Waited 5-10 minutes before installing the new battery, then corrected the date,time in Control Panel. It at least keeps the correct time now once set. Just don't want to have to correct the time every-time I boot-up.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Try clearing or resetting the BIOS Setup settings to defaults, then make sure the time and date are set correctly. If the system now keeps the proper time, then it sounds like the battery was the problem. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 am 

How do you reset the BIOS in a laptop? I've tried resetting the BIOS to the default settings but that didn't work. I notice it only gives me the error message when I unplug the AC power adapter. If I reboot the machine it's fine.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:33 am 
Site Admin

You reset the settings via one of the menu options in the BIOS Setup, which it sounds like you've already done. In that case most likely there is a partial failure in the RTC power circuits on the motherboard. The RTC is normally powered by the battery only when the AC adapter is not plugged in. Possibly one of the capacitors in the RTC power circuit has failed. In that case you'll either have to live with the problem as it remains, see if you can identify a failed component (such as a leaking capacitor) and replace it, or replace the motherboard to solve it completely. In the latter case you'll have to price out a replacement board (and the labor to change it) and decide if that is worth while. Let me know what the new board might cost, and what you decide in the end. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:06 pm 

We fix and donate these machines through a non-profit to help homeless and battered women get back on their feet. I don't want to complicate their lives any more than I have to. Will just save the parts and e-waste it. Thanks so much for your help. Your books and this forum are a valuable resource.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware