Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: TWO LEMON LAPTOPS
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 pm 

I have TWO EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE LAPTOPS which I have posted about before.
Both have severe problems

Most importantly:
I need a good RELIABLE powerful laptop NOT for gaming or CAD but for multiple browsing
PowerPoint, many windows for MS office, and photo editing etc. (Always told to get a bit more than I need).
Not needing to be shut off constantly due to heat would be an asset.
I believe I was told here that IBM ?Levono? Is good (i cannot find the post)
I’m on a budget but realize “you get what you pay for”.

1. ACER ASPIRE V3-571-6486
Windows 7 UP-TO-DATE
Wireless network (does not ”announce” it cannot find wireless network |(as the Dell often does)
WIRELESS EPSON WF 2540 PRINTER
AVAST! 7.0.1 (UP-TO-DATE)
After auto update even worse ->tonight explorer would not start -> eventually manually shut off Event viewer has:
ID - 41
Source - Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Version 6.1 (Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2)

Just now hibernating -.tried to restart and the screen was black nothing at all…. ||Shut off manually
Often email not accessible etc.
Often desktop orientation becomes perpendicular (no reason)
Touchpad is useless (need external mouse)

2. DELL: VOSTRA
ESC: 43277975461
S/T: JVQL7L1
OUT OF WARRANTY
WINDOWS XP UP-TO-DATE
AVAST! ?7.X(?) – UP-TO-DATE
WIRELESS N/W
WIRELESS EPSON WF 545

PROBLEMS:
Touchpad is useless (need external mouse)
Bluetooth does not allow standby and trying to update drivers does not work (“has the latest version”)
=> overheats.
Wireless Network cannot be found (no reason)
It came with a DELL SD Card 27D3T – (In a slot)
(there are more issues) but more concerned about having a LT that works.

Please advise at your earliest convenience!
Thanks

Post subject: Re: TWO LEMON LAPTOPS
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

I exclusively use and recommend Lenovo ThinkPad laptops, which have long been considered the best and most reliable laptops around. If you are on a budget, you can purchase discounted models from the Lenovo factory outlet store. I recommend the T-Series for most uses, as those are the models that include the best in combined performance, durability, and features. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:40 am 

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay (recovering from recent surgery).
I don't see anything here (on your Web site) that elaborates on the hardware (i.e. CPU, screen size; video cards, etc.) (I.E. "How to buy a LT)

I am in Canada: Here are the thinkpads:
“Search results for: t series”
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... ca&lang=en
Any comments?

ALSO:
As mentioned: both the LTs have major issues: Would you know how to temporarily fix the Dell's bluetooth error:
When I try to suspend:
"The device driver for the 'Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module' device is
preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all
applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to
update this driver
."
Tried updating but states it has most recent driver

The other dire question is the ACER: When I put it in sleep or hibernate, almost every time (Getting worse and worse) the screen does not come on. With hibernate shutting it off manually does not cause error messages but if same occurs with sleep, It has all sorts of error messages starting at the very first windows screen (text)
If I call Acer, they’ll tell me to reload windows and I don’t want to do anything drastic until I have my new laptop

Thanks!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry I let this slip by without responding! My book Upgrading and Repairing Laptops, 2nd Edition has a lot of information on what to look for in a good laptop. If you search the forum here you'll also find several posts with helpful information.

In general any of the ThinkPad T-series models should meet most people's needs. I would recommend one with the larger 15.6" screen unless you really need a smaller size. Also look for an integrated camera, which most but not all of them have. You can purchase one new, but I recommend checking the Lenovo factory outlet store for the best deals. You do have to act fast on those as the supplies are often limited.

Once you get a new ThinkPad I would recommend reloading both your Dell and Acer from scratch. In the mean time you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Bluetooth and power management drivers to see if that fixes the problems. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:08 pm 

Scott wrote:
Sorry I let this slip by without responding! My book Upgrading and Repairing Laptops, 2nd Edition has a lot of information on what to look for in a good laptop. If you search the forum here you'll also find several posts with helpful information.

Thank you Scott.
I want an autographed first edition (or latest) - keyword is signed!
I have a US bank account. I live in Toronto Canada and do not know shipping but if the book is less than $65.00 and is an "unsolicited gift" I do not have to pay duty.
:lol:
(I'll PM you my address if this is at all possible)!
Quote:
In general any of the ThinkPad T-series models should meet most people's needs. I would recommend one with the larger 15.6" screen unless you really need a smaller size.

The weight for me is an issue so screen size (IIRC) would be a big determinant in weight?
Quote:
[...] You can purchase one new, but I recommend checking the Lenovo factory outlet store for the best deals. You do have to act fast on those as the supplies are often limited.

I got really bad luck even with new things. The stores I can shop at (I have to do this online only) seem to lack any quality control so if it is refurbished I'd be best to avoid these - but will check the factory outlets assuming they're in Canada.
Quote:
Once you get a new ThinkPad I would recommend reloading both your Dell and Acer from scratch. In the mean time you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Bluetooth and power management drivers to see if that fixes the problems. Scott.

Thanks - last I tried the blue tooth driver update the dialogue stated that they were up-to-date (which is IMO virtually impossible since the Dell was bought several years ago.
BTW, the Bluetooth error (Dell) only occurs when its using wireless. (with wired connection it's fine)

Thanks!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware