Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Touch pad issues - new problem since re-image
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:28 am 

Hello,

I recently re-imaged my HP dv-3065dx laptop, and followed HP recommendations, to do a factory install of Windows 7 and then and upgrade to Windows 8 Pro since that was my preferred OS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c01868468

I had this configuration previously, and did it in this manner, and it had worked fine but, over time, performance had begun to suffer so, I felt a re-image was in order.

The problem I am having now, is when I "click" on things, such as links, "Like" on Facebook, and all sorts of other things, intermittently, I am having issues where the "click" action is not working as it should.

For example, on Facebook, it will extremely quickly Like then Unlike what I just clicked on. When trying to use certain sites that have "buttons" it "pushes" the buttons so quickly and just isn't reacting anything at all like it should.

Adjusting the "double-click speed" does not seem to correct this. My installed driver is Synaptics PS/2 Port Touch Pad version 15.3.29.0 which seems to be the latest driver available.

This problem was not present before I performed the re-image operation. This has happened and became a problem since the re-image has taken place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Touch pad issues - new problem since re-image
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:41 pm 

No help here?

This is really getting frustrating!

I am at a point of pulling my hair out! I've never seen anything like this.....

Please help.....

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

I apologize I guess I missed this post. The first thing one needs to do in cases like this is to determine whether it is a hardware or software problem. Since software is often the easiest to change, you might start there. In that case boot and run the system from a self-contained bootable OS such as the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or a bootable linux distro, then test the pointing device to be sure that it points and clicks properly. If it works properly under the alternate software environment then most likely the problem lies with your original OS, drivers or other installed software.

On the other hand, if the problem remains under the alternate software environment then the problem is almost certainly hardware related, which in this case means your laptop's integrated pointing device. In that case a new pointing device should be installed (i.e. new trackpoint, touchpad, etc.).

Another method would be to try a different (known-good) pointing device under the existing software. To do this remove (uninstall) the Synaptics drivers and plug in a known-good conventional 2-button USB mouse using the integrated Windows supplied drivers. If that works properly then the problem is most likely in your integrated pointing device and/or the drivers that go with it. If not, then I would suspect malware or other problems with your Windows installation. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 pm 

Thanks Scott.

No worries on missing the first post.

It just seems odd it worked fine before the re-image.

That seems to lead me to believe something happened software-wise, but, I'm not finding anything so far.....

I'll investigate further.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware