Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: No video on HP PAVILION NOTEBOOK PC DV7-1127CL
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:05 pm 

Hello Scott,
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=4230567&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us
I have this HP Pavilion Product Number : WQ867UA , That is displaying a black screen on the LCD panel. The external Monitor is displaying a white screen. The system is booting up to windows fine. I can hear the Windows chimes when it starts up and the cap/num lock keys respond as expected. I'm suspecting a bad LCD panel or a graphics chip set that went south. What do you think. I've attached pictures of the LCD and external monitor. This machine is running windows 7 and is about three years old. I found no physical damage on the machine that would indict impact damage or liquid damage.

Attachments:
File comment: video out port on HP pavilion
External Monitor.jpg
External Monitor.jpg [ 52.69 KiB | Viewed 1898 times ]
File comment: Computer is on and running win 7.
LCD panel.jpg
LCD panel.jpg [ 98.35 KiB | Viewed 1899 times ]
 Post subject: Re: No video on HP PAVILION NOTEBOOK PC DV7-1127CL
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Normally if it was just the display or backlight that failed then the external output should still function. I see from the specs (thanks for including the link) that it has both VGA and HDMI outputs. You didn't say which one you tried, but I would try both. If an external display doesn't work on either then I would say that the GPU has failed. In that case a motherboard replacement would generally be required as a repair. A quick search shows that may in fact be a common problem for these systems, and one way to repair the motherboard might be to "reflow" it.

Before going that far I would disassemble the system to disconnect and reconnect the internal display just to be sure that a bad connection isn't causing the problem. You might also try running an external monitor with the internal display unplugged to see if that makes a difference. If none of that helps, the only options I can see would be to try reflowing the existing board or to replace it instead. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post subject: Re: No video on HP PAVILION NOTEBOOK PC DV7-1127CL
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 am 

Scott, I connected the Pavilion to an external monitor via the HDMI port. Blank screen ,no video signal present,monitor goes to sleep. Disconnected the LCD LVDS cable at the mother board. No video on LCD panel and white screen on the external VGA port. Blank screen on the HDMI port. I reconnected the LCD video cable at the mother board. no change in the symptom. It must be the GPU on the mother board. I would like to spend more time on this machine, but I don't have the time. We currently have 80 tickets open. We get 20 repaired and closed and 20 more come in every 1-2 days.
I remember one ticket ,about a year ago. It was a Toshiba Satellite ,came in that would power on and power off within 1-2 seconds. I replaced the power jack, power button board and cable. After spend hours on this ,I finally found the source .it was the LVDS video cable.
HP parts store wants $218.50 for the System board. I trust HP parts store parts,more than an after market vendor.
Thanks for the help Scott, I learn some new every time.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware