Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Proper and safe way to use a 2.5 inch SATA/USB adapter.
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:44 pm 

Hello Scott,
Is it safe to plug a SATA 2.5 inch Hdd into a 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 Adapter,while the 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 adapter is plugged into the computer's USB port?
I always plug the Hdd into the SATA/USB adapter first ,then I plug the adapter into the USB port.
I know that the SATA Hdd specification support hot swapping sata drives. Would connecting a hdd to an already connected and powered on SATA/USB adapter fall under that specification?

We slave the UUT hdd to a mac mini when ever we need to run a data recovery /rescue and testing on Mac computers. We use a desktop shop machine and plug directly into a sata port ,or we use eSATA adapter for Windows machines.

We use the SATA/USB adapter from the Rosewill RX81U-ES-25A 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 External Enclosure here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182140
We are forced to use the USB port with Apple computer since we only have mac mini computers as shop test machines. The mac mini has no room for plugging a sata hdd directing onto a mac mini's SATA port.Also, no esata ports or room for an expansion card.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Proper and safe way to use a 2.5 inch SATA/USB adapter.
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hot swapping with SATA is perfectly safe (due to the connector design), but support is technically optional and based on the design of the adapter. If support is lacking you may have to unplug and replug the USB connection for the drive to be recognized. Instead of the taken-apart enclosure you are using now, I would recommend the following two docks, which fully support hot-swap and make it easy to connect and swap multiple different drives:

eSATA/USB 2.0: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153071
USB 2.0/3.0: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2690RW3093

I would use the first one with an eSATA connection on PCs with eSATA support and the second one with USB 2.0/3.0 on PCs or Macs without eSATA support. Unfortunately I do not yet know of a dock I can recommend that supports both eSATA and USB 3.0.

Another useful feature of these docks is that they can be powered off without having to remove the drive or physically disconnect the dock from the PC. This is very important for backup purposes since you don't want your backup drive(s) to be online at all times. Many people without offline backup recently lost everything on all connected visible drives and network shares due to some particularly nasty ransomware. Using multiple rotating drives with a switched dock allows one to keep multiple sets of offline backup. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm 

Well not everyone...some are $300 poorer and likely no wiser.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

True, in fact some are over $2,100 poorer and hopefully at least a *little* wiser. <g>

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:56 pm 

Scott,
I'm going to order four of the Utechsmart docking stations tomorrow ,for the four mac minis in the shop.
We are already using the Thermaltake BlacX docks for our windows shop computers. The esata ports perform better than the USB 2.0 ports on out wintel PCs,

Our shop has seen at least couple of customer's computers with the CryptoWare 'ransomware' infection.

DO you know of any solution for compromised computer ,other than having a recent backup or using a shadow copy.?
Best regards

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm going to order four of the Utechsmart docking stations tomorrow ,for the four mac minis in the shop.

Excellent, let me know how you like them.

Quote:
We are already using the Thermaltake BlacX docks for our windows shop computers. The esata ports perform better than the USB 2.0 ports on out wintel PCs,

eSATA is faster than USB 3.0 as well. It is unfortunate that newer laptops are replacing eSATA/eSATAp ports with USB 3.0, when they should instead be providing a single eSATAp connector supporting both (just as they did for USB 2.0 and eSATA).

Quote:
Our shop has seen at least couple of customer's computers with the CryptoWare 'ransomware' infection. DO you know of any solution for compromised computer ,other than having a recent backup or using a shadow copy.?

Note that the latest versions of CryptoLocker kill the shadow copies as well, in which case other than offline backups and/or paying the ransom (and hoping the resulting unencryption works) there are unfortunately no other alternatives. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:32 pm 

Scott wrote:
True, in fact some are over $2,100 poorer and hopefully at least a *little* wiser. <g>

Not sure if you've seen this Scott

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CryptoPrevent-2-2-1

http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

www.foolishit.com/download/cryptoprevent-installer/

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

This is unfortunately where the solution becomes the problem. This type of application causes problems for other legitimate programs, and new variations of malware won't be prevented. People should worry more about having multiple good backups than single-purpose prevention apps like this. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:10 pm 

Scott wrote:
This is unfortunately where the solution becomes the problem. This type of application causes problems for other legitimate programs, and new variations of malware won't be prevented. People should worry more about having multiple good backups than single-purpose prevention apps like this. Scott.

Thanks Scott, did occur to me to get some branded Flash drives sold or even given to every Customer, They are cheap and I'm sure I can get some labels made

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:35 am 

The Utechsmart USB 3.0/2.0 SATA Hard Drive Docking Station were delivered this morning. I've set them up at three of four mac mini station. the device is well made. Have not had a chance to use them yet. such as data recovery. I will post back when my technician and I have used them in the course of a repair job.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware