Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Intel Turbo Memory - Safe Skip?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:44 pm 

Lenovo offers 1GB of Intel Turbo Memory as an add-on option, for ~$36. Everything I've read indicates that real world performance *decreases* with Intel Turbo Memory in Vista. I'm going XP, I doubt that MS will backport it to SP3, and I'm probably not going to go Linux sans VM, and not sure if any Linux distros have or will bother with Intel Turbo Memory. Intel Turbo Memory is a safe skip, right? I could also just install it myself if I needed to at a later date, seems the Mini PCIe cards are commercially available, although at a slightly higher price point, found one at $39.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

It isn't just "safe" to skip it, I highly *recommend* you skip it. For more information see my article on the subject:

What's the deal with Hybrid drives, Turbo memory, and Vista?
viewtopic.php?t=105

As I have indicated in that article, you are best off spending the money on additional RAM instead. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Intel Turbo Memory - Safe Skip?
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 pm 

Do you know what the I/O rates are for Intel Turbo Memory? I just maxed out my T61 to 4GB of RAM, and hope to get it a SSD soon, so not likely to buy any, but quite curious as to what its specs were, to help learn why it failed. Tanks.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Intel's "Turbo memory" is a dead technology. If you want SSD-like performance without the high price, then I recommend 2nd gen. Hybrid drives like the Momentus XT. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm 

Yes, Intel seems rather embarrassed by the whole thing, but I was curious at to its historical performance. Do you recommend any other hybrid drives beyond the Momentum XT? It has an idle power draw of 0.8W, while the Travelstar 5K250 series HD currently installed has an idle power draw of 0.55W. While the seek power draw is lower on the Momentum XT, the hard drive is mostly idle. My current understanding is that only Segate has hybrid drives, with Hitachi coming out with some later this year. Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It has an idle power draw of 0.8W, while the Travelstar 5K250 series HD currently installed has an idle power draw of 0.55W. While the seek power draw is lower on the Momentum XT, the hard drive is mostly idle.

Even if the seek power draw was the same (and the drives actually needed to seek the same number of times to do the same amount of work), a savings of 0.25W during idle is insignificant considering the overall power consumption. But I'd bet that the reduced seek power consumption of the Momentus XT, combined with the fact that a Hybrid drive would need to seek far less often due to the SSD cache, means that the overall drive power consumption of the Momentus would in fact be equal if not less than the Travelstar.

Quote:
My current understanding is that only Segate has hybrid drives, with Hitachi coming out with some later this year.

That is correct. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm 

Quote:
My current understanding is that only Segate has hybrid drives, with Hitachi coming out with some later this year.

-----

That is correct. Scott.

Any idea when? I'd like to hold off and wait for competition to bring hybrid drive prices down, if I do that instead of an SSD. Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Sometime in 2011 is about all I know, and since it looks like it will be an ODD hybrid combo, it may not be in direct competition with the Seagate Momentus XT anyway. I've been using the Momentus XT drives in several systems for a while now, and highly recommend them. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:32 pm 

Actually, Tom's Hardware reports that at least the initial drives had an idle of 1.3W, not 0.8W as stated by Seagate. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sea ... 38-10.html. That's over double that of the Travelstar, if the idle power draw given for the Travelstar is accurate. On the same test setup, equipping the Seagate Momentus gave a battery life of 6:57:00, while with the XT it was drastically cut to 6:09:40. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sea ... 638-9.html. They also end with "We also have to mention that power consumption of this drive is slightly higher than other drives on average, which results in shorter battery runtime on notebooks." http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sea ... 38-13.html. There's a firmware update listed at http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/s ... NewLang=en, but no readme. The latest firmware, SD25, seems to have been released on or about 30 March 2011. http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-X ... true#M2243. A post on Seagate's website indicates lower battery life from SD25 compared to SD24, but this seems to be possibly due OS X, not the drive. http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-X ... true#M2517. What is your experience on the Momentus XT's battery life relative to the above? I'm also requesting release notes for the Momentus XT's firmware updates to date, and will post those in another thread to aid others, as Seagate is currently the only game in town.

All Tom's Hardware info is from 24 May 2010.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

All of those tests would appear to be irrelevant due to the fact that they were performed on the original version of the drive. Since then the firmware has gone through several revisions (I've updated one of mine twice), and the hardware itself may have been updated as well. I have no empirical power data of my own to contribute, but if you read the detailed article on laptop power consumption that I linked to in my previous post, you'll see that the HDD plays a very small role in overall power use, making the HDD 0.25W idle power consumption difference you mention a "non-issue". I can however confirm that the performance improvement over a standard 7200 rpm drive is fantastic, the faster boot time alone was well worth it. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:55 pm 

I'll post what I end up doing. However, it does seem to have a large amount of problems with Macbooks and Macbook Pros; chirping noises, beach ball of death, platters not spinning down, etc. I'm guessing it's an OS X issue, as most Windows complaints are about battery life.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:49 am 

Disturbingly, Seagate does not make release notes for firmware updates available. They also first attempt to elide the request for the release notes; rather sketchy.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

HDD firmware updates are a rare thing (esp. as compared to motherboard BIOS and optical drive firmware), so when they are released, I generally assume that upgrading is important if not mandatory. Release notes would definitely be nice, but whether I have them or not would have little or no effect on my upgrade plans. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:08 pm 

I'm considering an OCZ SSD, and they issue release notes indicating both resolved issues as well as open issues.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware