Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: LCD issue after drop
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 pm 

Hello,

Beginning to work on a HP Laptop, BIOS screen will not display, Boot screen will not display, the only display that will appear is in the attached photos below. This symptom occurred after the laptop was dropped.

This is not the typical symptom I have seen after a drop, but, looks like a bad panel in a LCD TV. I suppose a drop could cause the panel to go bad, but, I'm asking for more opinion here.

I have not done any dis-assembly, but, could this display be caused by loose cables as well?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: LCD issue after drop
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

I suppose that is possible, but not likely. Connect an external display. If that works it will verify that the LCD has most likely been damaged. You could try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, or replacing the cable, but if that doesn't help then most likely the internal display has failed. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:16 am 

You are correct, Scott.

External display worked correctly.

Re-seating cables was of no effect. I wouldn't think replacing cables would be of any benefit since there was a drop involved, I'm leaning toward LCD damage as the culprit.

I was only hopeful that something may have come loose.

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:25 am 

There's a local to me company in Ipswich that can provide matte replacements for most glossy screens. So at least when you change it you can get an upgrade!

Sometimes it's possible to upgrade the resolution too, but seems this needs a new cable.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:24 pm 

David, resolution would be determined by the graphics card I believe. Most laptops have this built into the motherboard. I also thought that screen models are specific to the manufacture and even to the specific model of the laptop. At least that's what I thought I read in one of Scotts U&R Laptops books.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:16 pm 

It's certainly not a trivial thing. I think that some laptops with the same *everything else* can have a higher screen if the cable is present. I've never done it but might be worth doing on occasion.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:36 pm 

I'm sure the cable has nothing to do with the maximum resolution of the screen. Maximum resolution is determined by the capability of the graphics card and also the screen. Even if the screen has the capability of a certain maximum resolution the graphics card must support that maximum resolution also.

Correct Scott?.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

In a modern laptop the same display adapter would normally support all of the possible resolutions available. In addition the cable should be the same for all of the different displays available in a given system. For example the same display adapter and cable is used in the ThinkPad T520 whether it has an HD (1366x768), HD+ (1600x900) or FHD (1920x1280) display. Sometimes however laptops do use different display cables based on other options such as webcams, touchscreens, or LED vs. CCFL backlighting. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00 pm 

That's some new information that could be put into a new version of U&R Laptops!.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:28 am 

Thanks again for all the information.

Again, I think the cable that feeds from the motherboard to the rear of the LCD isn't part of the issue.

The laptop I am using right now, was pushed off my lap by my daughter, and had a screen issue that ended up being the LCD cable becoming partially disconnected from the screen. Re-seating the cable to the LCD corrected the issue. (My screen simply looked like all you could see what a backlight lit).

The laptop I am currently repairing is not so lucky. This laptop is displaying only lines like shown in the photos unlike mine did. I don't think a drop would cause a cable to fail. A hard drive, maybe, and LCD, apparently but, usually in a more fatal obvious way that I am more used to seeing, not the lines. I am more used to seeing the lines when just a panel has failed like on a TV but not from a drop or fall.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 pm 

I would just open the case and run the Model number (and revision) though eBay, I dare say there are US suppliers.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware