Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: MacBook Pro - liquid spill - no video - yes external monitor
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:18 pm 

Hello,

I have not seen this laptop yet, but, I have a friend asking about it.

It is a MacBook Pro, do not know the exact specifics, but there was some extent of a liquid spill.

He is saying the laptop does operate, but, there is no video on the internal screen, but, he does get video if he connects an external video monitor up to the laptop. He states it operates normally in this fashion.

Just on the outside, this would tell me that for the most part, the motherboard should be undamaged, but, then again, there might be some part that is driving the internal monitor that has become damaged.

Any help here?

Post subject: Re: MacBook Pro - liquid spill - no video - yes external mon
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

If the internal display worked before the spill then I would suspect debris from the spill on the flex cable connection on the motherboard for the internal display. I would disconnect the cable, clean both the cable and connector thoroughly, then reconnect and test. Hope it turns out well, Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:22 pm 

Fantastic News!!

This story has a happy ending!

After removing the bottom cover, and the LVDS cable from the motherboard and cleaning them (I used an alcohol pad used for cleaning the heat compound from CPU's) and just letting the computer air out over night, then reconnecting the LVDS cable, the screen came to life!.

There did appear however, to be an issue with the hard drive. I got a grey progress bar under the apple logo and the machine would fill the progress bar and just shut off.

I was able to boot to Recovery, and run Disk Utility. (Mac's are really great in this fashion.) But, Recovery was unable to do anything at all with the hard drive. Verify and/or Repair didn't work, nor did Reinstall Mac OS X.

We at the request of my friend, ended up replacing the hard drive with a larger model, and at the same time did a RAM upgrade.

Again, the genius of Apple, booting to Option-R allowed us to do a full install of the Operating System over the Internet!! (How cool is that! - And it does not ask for a product key, it just verifies your Apple ID).

So, I realize this is Upgrading and Repairing "PC's" and a Mac isn't a "PC" but, Scott is and was very helpful in any case.

Thanks very much. (By the way, the Apple store wanted from $400 to $700 for screen replacement and we did this entire repair for $250)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad it was just the cable connection! Macs essentially are PCs these days, at least hardware-wise. The difference is the software, and I agree that Apple is much more advanced in how they deail with their OS. Microsoft should have learned those lessons years ago. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:17 am 

Having spent 3 years working for AppleCare on the Mac side, I'm surprised the repair quote wasn't more, considering the liquid damage.

All in all, glad things worked out for your friend. Nice job, mate!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:25 pm 

Could you read the drive in another Mac as a secondary I wonder for recovering what is on there if desired?

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware