Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Time for a new Laptop and Desktop...
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:13 am 

Hello Scott... Hope you've been doing well. I have "one" last load of "stuff" to move up to Montana from California this summer and then I'm "finally" done with my move. <g> Whew!!

Sorry... I digress... Well, it's time for a new laptop for both my Dad and I. He's still using the Sony Vaio we bought in 2005, and I'm using a Core i3 Acer laptop, and the Vaio is running XP Pro SP3 along with desktop, and my Acer is running on Windows 7 Home Premium. It is seriously time to get some power & speed!

Are you still recommending Lenovo/ThinkPad for the laptops, and what are you recommending desktop wise? All the laptops and PC's need to edit HD video footage, so I'm going with your recommendation for memory, CPU, graphics cards, etc.

Do you recommend at least 12 GB of RAM, SSD primary drive with a secondary 1 or 2 TB HDD? 15" vs. 17" screens, etc. We're looking for both power & speed this go around... no more Mr. Nice Guy when it comes to laptops or PC's. <g>

I'm still collecting all your URPC's books, and when I get back out your way, I'll have to take you to dinner to sign the latest books... I hope you're not too busy to give me some input on the "latest & greatest" laptops & PC's. Thanks in advance Scott...

Post subject: Re: Time for a new Laptop and Desktop...
 Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:10 am 

DaveInCampbell wrote:
.... Are you still recommending Lenovo/ThinkPad for the laptops, and what are you recommending ....

bump

I too would be interested since the T-series update seems to have messed with the keyboard and certain features have disappeared.

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry this took so long, but I was kind of hoping to get a hands-on look at the latest (T540/440 and W540) ThinkPads, but that hasn't happened yet, and may not for a while. While ThinkPads have been the only laptops I would use or recommend for some 20 years now, the changes Lenovo made to these models are unforgiveable, in particular with respect to the TrackPoint (no thumb actuated buttons!) and keyboard. For the time being, I will only recommend up to the previous generation T530/430 and W530 models, and once those are gone may have to re-think recommending ThinkPads at all. That is hard for me to say but I wasn't the one who destroyed one of the most desirable and iconic ThinkPad features! This misunderstanding of its own product reminds me of the Classic Coke debacle. My only hope is that just like with Classic Coke, Lenovo realizes its error and restores the proper functionality in its upcoming models. For now you can get the last good ones at places like http://NewEgg.com and the Lenovo factory outlet store.

As for a desktop recommendation, of course I recommend you build your own. Start with an MSI motherboard, Intel processor, Intel or Samsung SSD, we can take it from there. A lot will depend on the budget and intended use of course. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:32 pm 

Seriously, you are only recommending MSI MBs?!

Thanks for your comments on the new T-series and Thinkpads in general. I was not particularly pleased with what I read either.

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

FascistNation wrote:
Seriously, you are only recommending MSI MBs?!

Definitely not "only", however for the last few years they have been my first look. I would also check out GIGABYTE and Intel, then see what else is available with the desired chipset and form factor. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware