Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Laptop keeps booting up when plugged in
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:15 pm 

Working on a little Dell Inspiron 700m laptop which seems to bootup when I plug in the power jack. Then it says press F1 to continue, then get a blank screen. If I manually shut it down, then restart, I'll get the "Start Windows Normally"? I suspect it could be a bad power jack, but I'm not that familar with laptops.

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-700m/specs/

Post subject: Re: Laptop keeps booting up when plugged in
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect the (now approx. 10 year old) RTC/NVRAM battery (coin-cell) has died, what is the current voltage of the existing battery and what happens if you replace it with a new one? Unfortunately according to the 700M Service Manual that unit uses a semi-proprietary battery with an integral pigtail vs. a bare one (e.g. CR2032) you could get anywhere for a couple dollars.

If replacing the NVRAM battery doesn't help, then what happens if the AC is connected but the main battery is removed? Is the main battery charging properly? What happens when you power it up without the AC power connected? Try entering the BIOS Setup and re-saving the settings. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:46 pm 

Where's a good place to get a NVRAM battery? I know Dell would charge a lot for one. I knew the CMOS battery was bad because it's not retaining the date and time properly. Didn't think that might cause the pluggin boot problem though.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 am 
Site Admin

You could try eBay, but most of what I see there is used, just about as old as what you have. You could also solder a new battery to the existing pigtail. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 pm 

Replacing the CMOS battery has stopped the machine from booting up on plugin, but now I get "PRIMARY HARD DRIVE NOT FOUND" which is weird because I didn't even touch the hard drive. Tried replacing the hard drive and re-checking all the mobo connections. Same result. I guess ramping up the CMOS with a fresh battery must have caused the BIOS to lose the HDD because it doesn't see it. Any ideas?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

That system may have a 137GB limitation in the BIOS. What happens when you install a known-good hard drive of 120GB or less? Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware