Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: HP laptop locked up
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:18 pm 

While using an HP Pavilion ze5600 laptop this morning, it basically locked up. I could still move the mouse pointer, but I couldn't use it to open anything. I couldn't even do the Ctrl+Alt+Del stuff. Judging from what I've read, the CPU might have been overheating. Scott, does the ze5600 have a socketed processor?

Post subject: Re: HP laptop locked up
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have one of those myself, but if you post a link to the service and/or parts manual and I should be able to tell you. If they don't publish that type of manual then you may have to open it up to find the answer (unless somebody else has published that info online). I will say that most laptops have socketed processors, however in my experience the processor itself is one of the least likely devices to fail. By that I mean you should probably be looking elsewhere for solutions. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am 

Try this, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the link to the Service Manual. As you can see from the information in the manual the CPU in that laptop is socketed and therefore removable.

I did want to mention another way to find out whether a CPU is soldered or socketed. You can use the CPU-Z program to read the CPU specifications. One of the specs it reports is the Package, from which you can identify whether or not the CPU is a soldered or socketed type, and if socketed what type of socket it is designed for.

For example let's say you had a system using an Intel Core i7-4700 processor. If CPU-Z reports the Package as "Socket 1364 BGA" that would indicate a BGA (Ball Grid Array) processor like the i7-4700HQ, which is permanently soldered to the motherboard as seen in this example. On the other hand if CPU-Z reports the Package as "Socket 947 rPGA" that would indicate a PGA (Pin Grid Array) processor like the i7-4700MQ, which is in a socket (where the chip is removable) as seen in this example. Note that "rPGA" indicates a reduced pitch PGA design where the pins are closer together than standard PGA.

To simplify this I would say that in just about all cases where CPU-Z reports any form of BGA package that means the chip is soldered and where it reports any package other than BGA that means the CPU is truly socketed and therefore removable. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:33 pm 

Judging from what I've read, perhaps something is wrong with the heat sink.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:39 am 
Site Admin

Let me know what happens after you remove and reinstall it. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:57 pm 

Scott wrote:
.... another way to find out whether a CPU is soldered or socketed. You can use the CPU-Z program to read the CPU specifications. ...

Am I missing it? Because I see no indication of BGA or rPGA/PGA in the CPU-z image you provided. Or is the absence of BGA designation an indication that it is rPGA?

edit: Nevermind. I get it. The socket designation identifies it.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware