Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: when i turn on my laptop computer
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:36 am 

When I turn on my laptop computer it don't turn on right away I have to press the power button and then turn it on again.

it only does it when I turn off the omputer and then come back a few hours later or the next day and then when I press the power button it won't bootup right away all I see for light is the power button and I don't see the hard drive blinking. But when I turn off the computer and turn it back on then it bootup. What could be the cause. Without an error message its hard for me to find what is really going on. have you ever heard of see this happen with other laptop computers.

Thanks.

and its a dell inspiron E1505
it has 2gb of ram
windows vista basic
intel pentium dual-core.

Post subject: Re: when i turn on my laptop computer
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

This can sometimes happen due to battery or AC adapter failures. I would check the voltage output from the AC adapter and compare it to the specification, but sometimes that can be misleading as it can have correct or nearly correct voltage and still fail under load. What happens when you run it with the battery removed? What happens when you use a spare (known-good) AC adapter? Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:27 am 

I'm not sure what is going on. I have check the ac adapter and the voltage is 19.5. But it only does it when the computer been turn off for a few hours. I have try so far I wait for a few hours and then I unplug the computer from the ac adapter and run it off the battery and it boot right up. then I wait again for a few more hours and plug it in and then it won't boot up as soon as I turn it on I have to turn it off and back on then it would boot up again.

I also check the hard drive and the hard drive is fine. So it could be the AC adapter failures
or maybe it could be the power port on the motherboard could be going bad.

This is an old computer so I just might just use it until its die but it would be nice to find out what is going on. I guess I could go somewhere and grab a new AC adapter and see whats happens.

thanks again.

If anyone else ran into please get me your input

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 am 
Site Admin

What happens when you run it with the battery removed? What happens when you use a spare (known-good) AC adapter? Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:04 pm 

Scott wrote:
What happens when you run it with the battery removed? What happens when you use a spare (known-good) AC adapter? Scott.

Please read the last post I told you what happens.

but I found out what is going on the power adapter is bad. I ran it off the batter just fine and then I wait for a few hours and then I plug in the power adapter and took out the battery and turn it on and didn't bootup right away I had to press the button to turn it off and then back on then it would boot up.

Now I would like to know because the power adapter that came with the computer is a 65w and I would like to know if a dell slim power adapter 90w would work with this laptop computer dell inspiron E1505/6400 or would it over heat the battery.

Please reply as soon as you can because I could get on from walmart. thanks

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear it is just the AC adapter that is bad. You can always use a higher wattage rated adapter, the system will only draw what is needed. In otherwords, if the system only requires 65W (or less) then that is all it will draw even if a 90W adapter is connected. In fact the higher rated adapter will then run cooler and last longer. The only drawback to using a higher rated adapter is that they are usually physically larger and heavier. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm 

Quote:
Glad to hear it is just the AC adapter that is bad

how can the power adapter go bad? what could it cause it to go bad.

Walmart has a dell power adapter it might work even those that my laptop is not on the completable list.

It said on the box it is for the inspiron laptop computers and completable with most of the dell inspiron.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Power supplies are one of the most failure prone components in a computer, and this includes laptops. They endure a lot of thermal cycles, produce a lot of heat and are often over-stressed. That is why a unit rated for a higher than necessary wattage will generally last longer. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:24 pm 

well here is an update. I have order a new power adapter from best buy for $25.95 it is a 90watt. It will be here on Monday 10/13/2014. I will come back and let ya know if it works.
thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:44 pm 

well scott I got the new power adapter and now having some troubles with the new one. Now i get this error pops up

this is from the new power adapter.

When I first turn on the computer it didn't boot up right away after a few times I got it to work but now I get this message and it said it is the right one for my laptop computer it is from http://www.denaq.com and the sku number is DQ-PA-10-7450 and it says it is a 90watt power adapter

see the attach file please.

Then when I turn on the computer I also get this message

The Ac power adapter type cannot be determined. your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge.

Please connect a Dell 65w ac adapter or higher for best system operation. To resolve this issue try to reset the power adapter.
Strike the F3 key before the F1 or F2 key if you do not want to see power warning message again.
Strike the F1 key to continue F2 to run the setup utility press F5 to run on-board diagnostics

When I ran the diagnostics and ran the power adapter it gives me this error code
Error code 3600:0749 invalid AC adapter. So is this new adapter is not the right one for my laptop computer

This is an dell Inspiron E1505 /6400 Now what should i do return this new adapter back to best buy and order something else. ?????? this is getting me a bit upset now.

Attachments:
ac power adapter.jpg
ac power adapter.jpg [ 20.18 KiB | Viewed 10962 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:57 pm 

Does the new charger charge the battery?

If yes, then happy days.

If no then return it.

Only a Genuine Dell charger will stop the errors

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:11 pm 

no it won't charge at all.

I guess i'll have to get tough with this computer and open it up and test the power to see what is going on and see if the motherboard power port is bad. it seems that the old power adapter is working ok so I don't know what is going on here. I guess i'll try one of the other ones that best buy have for $44.00 bucks and see if that works. I just don't understand why it won't bootup right away with the old adapter it just seems like it getting worst and I have to hit it 3 times before it boots up from a cold boot.

scott got anymore ideas or do you see one on best buy website that might work and if so let me know maybe I didn't ran across it on best buy website.
thanks.
This one is no good i think i'll just take it back. and start over again.

PS when windows 10 comes out i'm going to get a IBM thinkpad that you like....

Would it hurt the computer if I just ran it off the old power adapter that came with the computer. even tho it won't boot up right away like I said before.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

It looks like the power adapter you purchased is not compatible with your system. I would return it and purchase either a Dell adapter or another one that is designed and/or guaranteed to be compatible: http://www.igo.com/ac-laptop-power/igo- ... harger.htm

I wouldn't recommend using a defective power adapter, bad power is one of the things that can hurt a system. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:35 pm 

it says it is. Beats the heck out of me. I just don't want to spend over $30.00 bucks for a new one with tax.

Igo i'm not so sure about it. walmart wants 70 bucks for theirs in store and they have it online for 28 bucks on their website.

I also change the cmos battery as well thinking that might be the cause of it.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:59 pm 

I went back to best buy and got another power adapter and the new one does the same thing as the old one did won't bootup right away I have to turn it off and back on again. So what else to try.

the one I got from best buy is the insignia universal laptop charger guaranteed to be compatible.

So to me I think the old adapter is fine and the power pine might be bad. or something.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

If it's not the adapter or battery then that unfortunately leaves the motherboard. In that case you could try to see if an inexpensive replacement is available on eBay, else it may not be worth replacing. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:03 pm 

Scott wrote:
If it's not the adapter or battery then that unfortunately leaves the motherboard. In that case you could try to see if an inexpensive replacement is available on eBay, else it may not be worth replacing. Scott.

I was doing some thinking about this. I also wondering if the memory could cause it not to boot up when it is plug in or if the cpu is drawing to my power for the AC adapter to bootup. other wise would it be cause by the power plug on the motherboard going out.

I can get a motherboard for it online even at amazon between $39.00 and another website for 49.00 I just want to get to the cause of why this computer boots up on the battery just fine but not when it is plug in after it set for a while. Read the other post to refresh your memory. Some people told me that it could be the cmos battery because some computer need that to bootup. So I'm stupid enough to replace it and it still does as what I said before.

Thanks.

at least I got a new computer coming in the new few days. even thou its a 14in screen and not a 15.5in with this Lenovo Thinkpad T420 - Intel Core i5 2520M 8GB 320GB Win 7 Pro (Certified Refurbished) handle windows 10 I hope.

thanks

your friendly neighborhood spiderman.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

You could check the memory to see if that is the cause (but I doubt it is). If there are two modules then remove one and test, then swap the remaining module with the removed one and re-test. If you have an equivalent spare module then swap that in and test. If nothing changes for any of the tests then that would eliminate memory as the cause. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:23 am 

Quote:
You could check the memory to see if that is the cause (but I doubt it is)

I'm running windows memory diagnostics tool and if that pass then i'll pull out one ram and test it that way to see if it will boot up right away with the laptop plug in and see if is that then after that if that pass then i don't know what else there that is causing it not to boot up. maybe somewhere on the close to the power plug could be something blown that i can't see on the motherboard. I do have the ram that came with the computer that i can try to.

I don't think it would be the cpu or the video card because it does boot up off the battery just fine and every time.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 am 

Scott wrote:
.... or another one that is designed and/or guaranteed to be compatible: http://www.igo.com/ac-laptop-power/igo- ... harger.htm

How the heck does this work? Different laptops have different voltages and while more Watts is fine, different voltages are not. Hopefully it also includes a polarity switch even though 90% are inner positive.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:38 am 

Scott wrote:
You could check the memory to see if that is the cause (but I doubt it is). If there are two modules then remove one and test, then swap the remaining module with the removed one and re-test. If you have an equivalent spare module then swap that in and test. If nothing changes for any of the tests then that would eliminate memory as the cause. Scott.

I think i found out what is going on yep its the motherboard. I have change ram i test the hard drive and that pass I check the cpu and I also did a stress test and they all pass.

I think when I first start up the computer after it sit for a few hours. I think what it is going on is somewhere on the motherboard the Solder is broken up and when I start the computer up from the battery and then let it set for a while then I plug in the power adapter then it fine until I turn off the computer and let it set for a few hours. It also know as cold solder once the solder get hot enough then it solder it back together and working again until I let the computer set for a few hours then it back booting up from the battery again and doing it all over again. What are your thoughts does it make any cents to you Scott ....

Spiderman

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

The tips have internal resistors that are sensed by the adapter to change voltages, but probably not polarity: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lap ... 852-4.html

I believe these patents describe this functionality:
http://www.google.com/patents/US5347211
http://www.google.com/patents/US6091611

Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:30 am 

ok ok I'm going to be ordering a new motherboard for this computer and Scott I also now notice now with just booting up from the battery it won't boot up right away I have to keep on powering it off and turning it back on a few times then it will bootup.

so would you say once and for all its the bad motherboard.

because I can't find anything wrong with the other hardware like video ram hard drive networking card wireless card that could be the cause.

The cpu fan runs fine. but this laptop likes to run at around 90 degrees above.

and this laptop computer dell inspiron 6400/E1505 motherboard has a upgrade video card.
I see on amazon site they got a few for around $22.00.
Once I get this motherboard replace and working good then i'll sell this thing that is why I got the T420 coming it will be here on monday by the end of the day.

The first person i'm going to try to sell this laptop computer back is the person that gave me this laptop computer. I really hate dell computers. I really like HP laptop computers and I hope to like the T420 laptop computer.

I guess the dell laptop computers a easy to repair.

hope to hear back from ya

SPIDERMAN

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:22 am 
Site Admin

I do think your problem lies with the motherboard, let me know what you find when you replace it. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:59 am 

Scott wrote:
I do think your problem lies with the motherboard, let me know what you find when you replace it. Scott.

I can't wait for that new laptop get here on monday.

I order a use montherboard from amazon and I found one for $26.99 plus $6.00 for S.H
When I replace this motherboard and take out the old one I think i'll take the old motherboard out to my dad's farm and take the shotgun and shot the motherboard LOL <G>

on the cpu do I still need to apply thermal grease to the cpu and how would i know if I have enough on it.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:44 am 
Site Admin

You always need to renew the thermal grease when installing a heatsink on a CPU. A very thin layer is best. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:01 pm 

Scott wrote:

Why is this site so slow for the few days?

Well scott I got that dell laptop computer all apart and now waiting on the motherboard.
I can't see any burn marks or anything on the board where it could be fry in spots. But I hope the replacement one will work.

It was not that hard as I thought it would be to taking out that motherboard just as easy as taking a desktop motherboard out in a desktop.
do I need to apply thermal grease to the co-processor to. because on the heatstink underneath it there is a foam pad. But not on the cpu.

Thanks
and try to find out why this site is slow in loading driving my NUTS<G

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:

Minor problems with the host servers: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

Quote:
...do I need to apply thermal grease to the co-processor to. because on the heatstink underneath it there is a foam pad. But not on the cpu.

That is probably the chipset or video processor. You do not need to use thermal grease if there is a thermal pad, just re-use the pad. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:53 am 

Scott wrote:
spiderman wrote:

Minor problems with the host servers: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

Quote:
...do I need to apply thermal grease to the co-processor to. because on the heatstink underneath it there is a foam pad. But not on the cpu.

That is probably the chipset or video processor. You do not need to use thermal grease if there is a thermal pad, just re-use the pad. Scott.

That what I thought it might be the host server acting up.

I think your right because I watch a www.youtube.com video on it and I Think it is the video processor or the chipset. and the blue pad it stuck on the heatsink.

Will I just got this Lenovo laptop computer yesterday and I'm not happy with it. I can't get the Bluetooth to work and I can't get the webcam to work and I can't seem to find the right drivers for it yet. and I can't find the cam in the bios to enable it like other websites say to do. I fix a few other things that was not working right on here. but I'll have to contact the seller about it maybe the webcam is not working at all. I really like the fell of this keyboard.

and yes I got the one with the 1600X900 res.

Spiderman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:14 am 
Site Admin

Whenever getting a used system I recommend reloading the OS from scratch and then installing all of the latest drivers. With the ThinkPad the update portion is made easy by virtue of the Thinkvantage System Update program: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/tvsu-update

It will find and install of the latest updates as well as the BIOS. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:20 pm 

Scott wrote:
The tips have internal resistors that are sensed by the adapter to change voltages, ....
Scott.

Thanks Scott. That is great. Most useful.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:46 pm 

Scott wrote:

The new motherboard came DOA. All it can do is blink the lights a few times but it won't boot up and the fan won't even spin up. so I guess i'll have to send it back to get a replacement or a refund and look for another seller for a motherboard. could it be that something else that could took out this motherboard to or is it could be a motherboard DOA.

this is weird. I'm really to ship this Dell laptop computer to you and see what you can find out scott.

Maybe you could do a video on it replacing a motherboard. and I get free parts hehe and I get parts lol..

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately it sounds like you got a defective motherboard. You might want to consider living with the original problem or parting this laptop out, it may not be worth the hassle or expense to fully repair. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:23 pm 

Scott wrote:
Unfortunately it sounds like you got a defective motherboard. You might want to consider living with the original problem or parting this laptop out, it may not be worth the hassle or expense to fully repair. Scott.

They are going to send me another motherboard and if this other motherboard don't work or DOA They will refund my money. or I can file a claim against the seller on Amazon.

I'll let you know if this other motherboard works or not.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:09 pm 

Update Scott.

This is what i found out about the power adapter on the dell laptop computer.
I have took it into pc parts and supply and have them test out the power adapter and it what I thought it was bad. The pin inside the plug that go to the computer it don't pulse very good like a good known one does. I don't know how much you work on dell laptop computers. But what I found out was that power from the ac adapter was not getting up to full power to boot up the laptop computer. So when I got this 2nd new laptop motherboard just with the AC adapter plug in I turn on the computer and it didn't boot up right away I had to keep on press the power button on and off like the old motherboard ok now when I just have the battery in and unplug the computer and it boot it right up 1st time but then when I came back about 2 to 3 hours later and try to boot it up from the battery it just won't boot up right away. so I turn it off and on again and then it booted up. Then I waited for a few more hours and then press the power button and it booted right up. Now I was wondering if that AC adapter could that taken out the motherboard if so then why didn't it take out the cpu chip the ram the dvd-rom drive the hard drive the wireless networking card the modem etc.

I'm wondering if the battery is going bad like the AC adapter and would cause the motherboard to go bad to. I'm worry about if I get a new AC adapter and it does the something would it be something wrong with the CPU chip that could be going bad. Because I know that if the CPU is bad or the socket goes back the computer won't boot up. all you would be looking at the black screen of death. I also thought it could be the hard drive cause not to boot up so I took out the hard drive and let it boot up to the bios and that didn't work too that that was plug in with the AC adapter and the battery was out of the computer. I might take dell laptop computer to pc parts and supply and have them test it with their adapter and see if the computer will boot up right away for them with just the AC adapter if that works then I guess i can order a new one for it and then sell the laptop computer. get rid of it. I guess dell have problems with their motherboards and AC adapters.

I also seen the HP laptop computers some of those laptop computer have motherboards that go bad to.

Just a note
About this IBM think pad my newer computer I just got. since I had some much problems with this computer Amazon have refunded my money and told me to keep the computer. I had to spend some time in download the drivers etc but i think I got everything working on here like new. now all I have to do now later is upgrade the hard drive to SSD.

But thie T420 is a new little backup computer.

Thanks again

I'm just about to solve this dell laptop computer issues. and I hope to find the problems

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

AC adapters are one of the most failure prone components in laptop computers. Let me know what you find out if you pursue this further. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware