Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: DVD R/W to Blu Ray R/W upgrade
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:41 pm 

I would like to upgrade my Toshiba Satellite A305-S6858 laptop's internal optical burner to a blue ray burner. The laptop's serial number is 88171130Q. The laptop has been operating quite well since April when Microsoft Support replaced the Windows Vista Home Premium operating system with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. This was after 48 some hours of trying to resolve an inability to perform software updates or the installation of patches.

Would an LG 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Super-Multi Slim Blu-ray Burner BT30N - OEM, Newegg number N82E16827136263 be a proper selection?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827136263

What software application would one recommended to operate it?

Thank you for any assistance, Chris

Post subject: Re: DVD R/W to Blu Ray R/W upgrade
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

That drive will very likely work. To verify you'll want to remove the existing drive and check to see that the connectors on the rear are a match. Also check that the faceplates match in size and shape. To install the replacement drive you'll probably have to transfer over one or more mounting brackets from your existing drive.

For software you can use free utilities like ImgBurn and the VLC Player to read, write and play discs including Blu-Ray. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:32 pm 

Thank you Scott. I'll verify the connectors tonight and order the drive tomorrow. I'll keep you informed.

Again, thank you kindly - Chris

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:08 pm 

Hi Scott,

I removed the optical drive and found it to be an H-L Super Multi DVD Rewriter model GSA-T40F (ATAK780) drive which has a PATA type connector (Slim ATAPI?) instead of the SATA connection the LG 6X requires.

Rats!

I did find a few Blu-Ray burners advertized on eBay such as this Panasonic UJ-215 burner: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-Panas ... 2c6f689b3c

or this Panasonic UJ-220: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MATSHITA-UJ ... 0573607023

Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks, Chris

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have any recommendations other than what you've already found. Of those I'd choose the cheaper one and again verify that the connector and front panel shape matches yours exactly. If you get it let me know how it works out. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware