Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: UEFI - Access to settings . . .
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:10 pm 

Hello! As something of an old-timer in the realm of computer repair (I've been at it full-time since 1995) I'm a bit confused about UEFI. What I find most confusing about it is the inability to get to the settings without having a UEFI OS installed or by using a UEFI Windows boot DVD. For example - I recently picked-up a lightly used laptop that shipped with Windows 8 installed, my plan was to wipe the drive and install 7 in place of 8, I turned the system on once to check that it booted properly (it did) then shut it down, pulled the drive and restored a Win7 image to it. Of course, upon turning it back on it wouldn't boot since it had been last set to UEFI and not legacy. To get around this I had to create a Windows 8 UEFI boot DVD to get into the UEFI. Now, it seems that to be able to get to the UEFI setup in the event of a failed drive (where I can't get to the OS to launch the UEFI setup) I would have to have a UEFI bootable media of some sort (DVD, USB, etc) & that would only work if those mediums were set to boot in the UEFI prior to the drive crash. What if the boot order ONLY included the hard drive and the option to try other bootable options were not turned on? Also, is there some universal UEFI boot disk (not Windows) that can be used to access the settings in such a case? For years things carried on in the same way but, a few of the changes in the past few years have yet to make much sense to me. Can someone tell me the easiest and quickest way to access UEFI no matter the scenario? I miss my "del" & other key variations at POST. I have a hard time believing it has become so complicated to simply change some hardware settings. Thanks :)

Post subject: Re: UEFI - Access to settings . . .
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

What laptop is this exactly? There should always be a method of accessing the BIOS Setup regardless of whether any drives are installed or not. At this point the primary difference between a standard vs. a UEFI BIOS is the ability to boot from a drive greater than 2.2TB. If you don't have that requirement (and your boot drive doesn't have a GPT format/boot sector) then you might consider setting the BIOS to non-UEFI boot mode. Scott.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 am 

Hi Scott - it's an NV76R23U - a model I especially like since it has 2 internal drive bays + mini-pci / sata (I have a few of this model, maxed-out) . . . but, yes, I tried everything to access the UEFI after removing the drive (F2 at post is supposed to work on this model, but absolutely does not until "legacy" is reselected through the means I mentioned - booting a UEFI bootable Windows DVD). I feel like I've run into this before, when "fast boot" has been enabled in the setup and the system bypasses the setup prompts all-together under UEFI and you must get to it via the OS.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving . . . Brian

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 am 
Site Admin

I'm guessing that is a Gateway model after a quick search. If you can please post a link to the documentation for that system. You may need to hit the key to access the BIOS Setup more quickly, on some systems I find that I have to start tapping the key immediately on power-up, by the time you see anything on the screen it is too late.

Rather than a UEFI problem, this may in fact be a problem with Secure Boot. If that is enabled the system won't boot from anything below Windows 8. I would disable Secure Boot to see if that solves the problem, if not then unless you are booting a >2.2TB drive I'd set the system in legacy mode, which should also eliminate the Secure Boot feature. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 am 

Just headin' out for the holiday, but yes . . it's a Gateway. The documentation does say to tap F2 but it didn't work until I was able to switch it to legacy - I tried it all, including tapping as quick as possible (before hitting power and tapping like a maniac). I cannot remember if secure boot was on or not, since this is all well after the fact and I did ultimately get in to switch the mode and ultimately was able to boot my imaged Win7 drive . . . perhaps this is an anomaly? I assure you though - I tried every single thing to get to setup & the only thing that worked was the boot to Win8 DVD . . . this may be an exception to the norm, I hope at least! Thanks Scott . . . Brian

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware