Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: USB FDD bootable if BIOS silent?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:58 pm 

Is there a USB floppy disk drive, preferably new, capable of booting a laptop that doesn't mention any such thing in the BIOS boot order? It mentions other USB possibilities but not one for floppies. The Sabrent USB FDD was not capable of booting with my previous laptop (and I no longer have either one) and I just got a Bytecc USB FDD because it's the only model carried by Newegg that was compatible with both Win and Mac (Mac runs Unix) and I needed Linux compatibility for nonboot mode; Newegg's others were all Win-compatible only. Is my problem with the BIOS and, if so, how can I solve that without buying another laptop? Or would the right USB FDD being plugged in during power-up cause the BIOS boot order to show the possibility and, if so, which USB FDD models would do it? NEC had one that booted some laptop but I don't recall which model for either the laptop or the NEC FDD.

Post subject: Re: USB FDD bootable if BIOS silent?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

You would need USB Floppy drive support in the BIOS Setup boot order for it to be able to boot from a USB floppy drive. I wrote a bit on USB floppy drives previously here: viewtopic.php?t=391

Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware