Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: screen condition if keyboard pushes on it
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:55 pm 

My laptop monitor screen, which I've recently cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, shows faint outlines on reflection that seem to coincide with the edges of some of the key caps. It looks like the clearance between the screen and the caps when the lid is closed is sufficient to prevent touching, I can test with a sheet of paper whether the caps are still touching, the screen marks may be old (I bought the laptop as a refurbished debranded machine), and I held the laptop upside down but didn't see the key caps moving enough to reach the likely height needed to touch the screen; but do I have anything to worry about respecting the screen's physical condition, which now looks okay?

Post subject: Re: screen condition if keyboard pushes on it
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

If the touching or rubbing continues that might result in visible scratches that don't wipe away. The screen should still function as such damage would be cosmetic only. I'd consider applying some thin stick-on rubber bumpers positioned in order to slightly space the screen from the keyboard when the lid is closed to prevent such contact in the future. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware