Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:44 pm 

For quite some times, I've been getting intermittent BSODs stating "NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error." This problem has spanned a system board swap and a CPU upgrade. It seems to almost always occur when Adobe Flash is in use. I've run the extended version of the Windows Diagnostic Tool 7.5 times, but it does not detect any errors. I'm also unsure if the RAM can be the cause because it is not parity/ECC. What should I do? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

That type of intermittent error is often caused by a defective/failing power supply or bad RAM. You could try running memory diagnostic software, but those diagnostics are not always conclusive and may not actually identify memory that is marginal or intermittently failing. As a more conclusive test I'd try replacing those components (one at a time) with known-good spares and then stress-testing the system using something like Prime95 as well as the Adobe software you identified that seems to aggravate the problem. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:56 am 

Ran Memtest86+ 5.01 for 24.5 hours, nearly 18 passes, no errors found. The only oddity was that it reported the RAM as being DDR2 617, when it should be DDR2 667. Unless that indicates an issue, will then proceed to remove RAM modules.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:42 am 

You can do it by running only one stick at a time if you do not have compatible known working DDR2 to substitute. It would be nice if you had a way of tripping the error rather than waiting for it to intermittently appear; so enjoy the videos.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:08 pm 

Used each of the two SODIMMs in isolation, tripped the parity check error with each module while running Adobe Flash on Youtube. The only way I think both modules would be damaged would be from a power surge several years ago that damaged the motherboard's (since replaced) ethernet via the dock, but don't know if that's likely or not. Ideas? Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Try a new or even better a known-good module. I would also try removing and reinstalling Adobe Flash, as well as trying the same scenario under different browsers. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware