Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Laptop Sound Problem
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:43 am 

Dear sir,
the problem with my compaq presario R3000 laptop is that when am playing a video and inserted an earphone connector to the sound port, normally I only suppose to hear sound only through the earphone. the reverse is the case with my laptop. after inserting the earphone into the phone jack I used to hear sound both from the earphone and the laptop speakers. how can I solve this problem sir ? Thanks.
Olakunle

Post subject: Re: Laptop Sound Problem
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

In most laptops the headphone jack includes shunts or switches that automatically disconnect output to the speakers when headphones are connected. If that used to happen but now doesn't then something has changed in either the jack or headphones. These connections (or disconnections) depend on a phone connector (aka phono plug) with the proper tip configuration. Make sure you are using stereo headphones and not cellphone or other types of earpieces.

If that doesn't help then it is possible the jack itself has gone bad. You could try cleaning it with contact cleaner. If that doesn't help then replacing the jack would be the next option. In many laptops the audio jacks are contained on an auxiliary board that you can purchase as a spare part, or you could remove and replace the jack from the board. Since the latter would require soldering, unless you could do it yourself the cost to have it done may be prohibitive. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware