Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Lenovo Laptop Advice...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:01 am 

Hey Scott...

I hope this post finds you doing well. We're on the home stretch of winter... only a couple of months of cold weather left. <g>

Are you still in Lenovo's corner for picking up a laptop for business and personal use? I'm undecided on whether or not to build my own powerful desktop for CAD (AuotCAD & SolidWorks), video editing, and Photoshop graphics, etc.

What's your take on a desktop vs. a Lenovo W540 laptop workstation? My Dad needs a new laptop as well. He's still using his 2005 Sony Vaio, but the "k" key is no longer functional, so I guess it's time to update his laptop. <g> I'm looking at the T540p for his replacement.

I'd like to max out his memory at 16 GB along with a large harddrive, etc., but when speaking to Lenovo, they claim the factory warranty will be voided. (I'm not sure that's a big deal seeing that Lenovo laptops can be repaired & upgraded in house.)

What is your advice on buying a Lenovo? Should I buy the bare minimum and upgrade all components myself? Can I upgrade the CPU, or should the most powerful processor be ordered at the time of purchase? It doesn't sounds like the T series laptops can have two harddrives, but the W series can but only at the expense of removing the DVD player.

What nVidia Quadro card do you recommend for the Lenovos? There are two types for the W series, and the more expensive model is recommended for software using 3D modeling.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make a "smart" choice when buying a Lenovo. And I want to know whether I should go with a desktop vs. a W series for high end video editing. I'll list the specs below that I'm interested in purchasing "if" I go with the T & W series Lenovo laptops, and maybe you can tell what configuration to purchase and then what upgrades I can make myself to upgrade to "killer" machines. <g> Thanks as always Scott for your valuable input... I'll check back...

Dave

P.S. - I forgot to mention, that I'd like to use a 27" monitor, external keyboard, and external mouse for both laptops. In other words, I'd like to keep the laptops off to the side of my main work area but use a larger monitor, keyboard, and mouse in front of me like using a desktop. Is this feasible, and what would be needed to create this type of setup? Also, can 2 or 3 27" external monitors be used on a model W540 laptop?

T Series Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4600M Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.60GHz) -vPro
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64
Display: 15.5" 3K (2880x1620) IPS with WWAN
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 730M 1 GB
Memory: 16 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (2 DIMM)
Camera: 720p HD Camera
Hard Drive: 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 5400 rpm, 2.5"
Optical Device: DVD Recordable
Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated Mobile Broadband: Sierra Wireless 7355 - Gobi 5000 (maybe not needed)

W Series Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 - 4930MX Processor (8MB Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64
Display: 15.5" 3K (2880 x 1620), IPS LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, Color Sensor
Graphics: W540 nVidia Quadro K2100M 2 G
Color Sensor: With Color Sensor (What is "Color Sensor" Scott?)
Memory: 32 GB PC3-12800 DDR3L (4 DIMM)
Camera: 720p HD Camera
Storage Subsystem: Internal RAID - Not enabled to Not RAID Capable
Hard Drive #1: 512GB Solid State Drive SATA3
Hard Drive #2: 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 5400 rpm, 2.5" (Scott, can a 1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive be installed?)
Optical Device: I can use an external DVD or Blu-Ray Recorder
Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated Mobile Broadband: Sierra Wireless 7355 - Gobi 5000 (Scott, is a wireless broadband needed?)

Post subject: just braggin
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:03 pm 

Well my 6 year old laptop has been acting a bit wonky so I treated myself to a custom that I hope will last another six years. Not happy about the quirks of Lenovo, but I didn't find anything at HP, Dell or Asus I liked better. Be interesting to see how fast it gets here. I seem to remember last time it was in NY in less than 48 hours from China (another custom build) and then 8 days in customs (the bas&*#ds!) before over nighted to me (thank you Lenovo!).

ThinkPad T540p
Intel Core i7-4700MQ
Crucial Ballistix Sport PC3-12800 DDR3L 16GB (2 x 8G)***
15.5" 3K IPS WWAN
nVidia GT730M 1GB
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512GB***
720p HD Camera
Intel 7260 BT ACBGN (2x2)
Win8.1 P64 to Win7 P64 DG
9cell Cylindrical 99.9Wh
LOGITECH M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse***
*** = ordered from Newegg
Could only find a 5% off coupon. So sad.

Post subject: Re: Lenovo Laptop Advice...
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:43 am 
Site Admin

A variation on this topic was continued here: viewtopic.php?t=2997

I can only recommend the T550 or later (or maybe the T541) due to the reinstatement of the TrackPoint buttons. Even with that they are lacking many previous ThinkPad features I have come to depend on. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware