Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: SSD not deteced
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:25 pm 

Hi Scott I bought a Thinkpad T 550 it came with Win 8.1 I want to install a Samsung 850 Pro SSD. When I connect it with a SATA to USB cable Win does not find it. It does not appear at This PC. Can you help with this much thanks for your time Dak

Post subject: Re: SSD not deteced
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

When you say Windows doesn't find it, what do you mean exactly? Note that a drive will not appear as a volume (drive letter) until it has been partitioned and formatted. Does Windows Disk Management see the drive? If so then what happens after you use Disk Management to partition and format the drive?

If Disk Management doesn't see the drive then I would first suspect the SATA to USB "cable". These are more than just cables, they are adapter devices that contain active electronics, chipsets, etc. It may be defective or simply incompatible with the SATA drive. I would contact the adapter "cable" mfr. to verify specifications and compatibility. What happens when you connect the drive and adapter to another system? I would also verify that the drive works via a direct SATA connection and that the USB port on the system is also functional. If both are, then that indicates the adapter "cable" is most likely the problem. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post subject: Re: SSD not deteced
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:19 pm 

Hi Scott I found the SSD in Disk Management and used it to partition and format the drive. I used Paragon's Migrate OS to SSD tool, worked perfectly. So I was good to go machine boots in about 5 secs. All in all I would never go back to a traditional HD. It wasn't as easy to swap drives as in my T500 but well worth the effort. Thanks again for your help !! dak

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware