Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: DELL VOSTRA LAPTOP (2007(?) PROBLEM
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 pm 

I thought I read that the S.T. and E.S.C are what is needed to identify the computer. If not please let me know!
Hello,
I have posted about this laptop before
ESC: 43277975461
ST: JVQL7L1
Out of warranty:
Today it did not boot but I don’t think it had been plugged in securely (I have black electrical tape around the connection which semi-hides the blue light) and I’d left it on “stand by” overnight.

Plugged it in (left room) but ½ hour later noted it was on (fans making noise) and getting increasingly warmer.
Opened the closed “lid”: Monitor was light black with a flashing cursor.
No response to KB / wireless mouse or on-off switch
Unplugged and it kept running so I had to remove battery.

It was NOT too hot to touch & I’ve been using it uneventfully for the past month. (Yesterday it was fine)...
The only problem: I’ve had to have Windows “repair” the wireless network (?8 times in past month)

I’m waiting for it to “cool” down (with battery out).

1. I can deal with desktops (Re: removing casing, cleaning dust +/- replacements) BUT have NO IDEA how to open this (or any) laptop or where to start?

2. Not sure what order to do this in:
A) Open first?
B) See if it boots?
If not then open? (I would be trying to locate the PSU fan (or any fan) + dust...)

Externally it has been warmer (when I’ve been using it) so I don’t know if the CPU, memory, HD etc. have extra heat protection.

Comment: The way it was going (IMO – which is useless with laptops) it could have gotten hotter and hotter at least damaging parts (if not already). I do not know how far it would have gotten?
I thought there are safety checks and devices that shut the system off if it overheats and goes along on its own?
Isn’t this a safety issue?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

I hope the SERVICE TAG and the EXPRESS SERVICE CODE are sufficient in identifying it?
EXPRESS SERVICE CODE: 43277975461
SERVICE TAG: JVQL7L1

THANK YOU!

Post subject: Re: DELL VOSTRA LAPTOP (2007(?) PROBLEM
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

When a system locks up and remains on normally you can force it off by pressing and holding the power button for more than 4 seconds. I would see if the system boots and runs without the battery, if it does then shut it down reinstall the battery and see if it boots and runs with the battery in place.

Normally the only components that will get hot are the CPU, HDD and battery. The CPU is thermally protected and will shut down before it gets too hot. The HDD will normally fail if it gets too hot, and I've never seen one overheat to the point of catching on fire. The battery on the other hand can potentially catch fire, so that is something you should keep an eye on. If you never use the system on battery power you might consider removing it and just running on AC alone. Note that lithium ion batteries have a finite life of a couple of years or about 300 charge cycles (whichever comes first) so if you do want to use it on battery power you may need to get a replacement.

While I don't think you need to take anything apart just yet, by going to Dell Support and keying in the service tag number you can find all of the manuals for that system, which includes a very detailed service manual with disassembly and diagnostics information.

You might consider using some compressed air to blow out the cooling vents in the system, they can become clogged with dust and prevent the CPU from properly cooling. Scott.

Post subject: Re: DELL VOSTRA LAPTOP (2007(?) PROBLEM
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:38 pm 

Hello and thank you!

Scott wrote:
When a system locks up and remains on normally you can force it off by pressing and holding the power button for more than 4 seconds.

I did not have success with that (I rarely do on any).
Scott wrote:
I would see if the system boots and runs without the battery, if it does then shut it down reinstall the battery and see if it boots and runs with the battery in place.

It ran EXTREMELY well without the battery - AND barely got warm!
I have not tried it with the battery yet.

Scott wrote:
Normally the only components that will get hot are the CPU, HDD and battery. The CPU is thermally protected and will shut down before it gets too hot. The HDD will normally fail if it gets too hot, and I've never seen one overheat to the point of catching on fire. The battery on the other hand can potentially catch fire, so that is something you should keep an eye on. If you never use the system on battery power you might consider removing it and just running on AC alone. Note that lithium ion batteries have a finite life of a couple of years or about 300 charge cycles (whichever comes first) so if you do want to use it on battery power you may need to get a replacement.

I almost never use it on battery power.
I am still wary of using it with the battery.

I am going to remove the battery and run the other laptop (Acer).
I have always left them plugged in (with the battery) but now I'm a bit worried.

Scott wrote:
While I don't think you need to take anything apart just yet, by going to Dell Support and keying in the service tag number you can find all of the manuals for that system, which includes a very detailed service manual with disassembly and diagnostics information.

You might consider using some compressed air to blow out the cooling vents in the system, they can become clogged with dust and prevent the CPU from properly cooling. Scott.

I'll follow your advice re: cleaning it (I use the air quite a bit).

Thank you again!
Tanya

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware