Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Memory
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:47 am 

Hi Scott Sorry I forgot to enter a subject in my last post. I installed 8gb of ram in my Thinkpad T 550 but only 4gb shows in System in the Control Panel and the BIOS. I really took my time installing it hope I don't have to remove the base cover again. Thanks for your time. warm regards dak

Post subject: Re: Memory
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:55 pm 

dak wrote:
Hi Scott Sorry I forgot to enter a subject in my last post. I installed 8gb of ram in my Thinkpad T 550 but only 4gb shows in System in the Control Panel and the BIOS. I really took my time installing it hope I don't have to remove the base cover again. Thanks for your time. warm regards dak

have you update your bios

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

dak wrote:
I installed 8gb of ram in my Thinkpad T 550 but only 4gb shows in System in the Control Panel and the BIOS.

If it is recognized by the system it should show up in the BIOS Setup no matter what OS you are running, so that indicates there is a problem. Try swapping the modules in their sockets and see what the BIOS Setup reports. If nothing changes then try removing one module at a time and again see what the BIOS Setup reports. You may find that one of either the modules or sockets are defective or incompatible. According to Crucial the T550 supports up to 16GB of 1.35V DDR3 1600MHz (or faster) RAM: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... nkpad-t550

Make sure both of your modules meet those specs. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:31 pm 

dak wrote:

What brand of Memory (RAM) did you install?

You could download a bootable UBCD disc to test out that computer. Get scott new book upgrading and repairing pc the 22 edition and watch the video he talks about the UBCD and shows you how to run the memory tester.

What version of windows do you have my guess it would be windows vista or higher.

hope this helps and also do what scott said to check. Could be bad memory or a bad memory socket. I have worked on a IBM think pad a few years ago and that one had a bad memory socket. something to check into.

Have fun are computer a pain in the butt. oops not it Microsoft that is a huge pain in the A**. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPIDERMAN

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:34 am 

Scott wrote:
dak wrote:
I installed 8gb of ram in my Thinkpad T 550 but only 4gb shows in System in the Control Panel and the BIOS.

If it is recognized by the system it should show up in the BIOS Setup no matter what OS you are running, so that indicates there is a problem. Try swapping the modules in their sockets and see what the BIOS Setup reports. If nothing changes then try removing one module at a time and again see what the BIOS Setup reports. You may find that one of either the modules or sockets are defective or incompatible. According to Crucial the T550 supports up to 16GB of 1.35V DDR3 1600MHz (or faster) RAM: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... nkpad-t550

Make sure both of your modules meet those specs. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Hi Scott I reset both modules and everything is fine. Thanks for your time. dak

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

dak wrote:
I reset both modules and everything is fine. Thanks for your time. dak

Excellent, thanks for letting me know. I've repaired many, many systems by simply removing and reinstalling the same parts. I believe that cleans the contacts and therefore renews the connections. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware