Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: when i turn on my laptop computer PART 2
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:28 am 

Ok this is part two.

this is what I found out I took that laptop computer to pc parts and supply and have them test with their adapter and it did the same thing now I'm stuck wondering if my AC adapter could of taken out the motherboard. How can a AC adapter go bad?

Thanks.

Spiderman.

I had them test my adapter and it was in dead bad now so I guess it could of taken out my old motherboard and could of taken out the replacement motherboard to.

Scott what do you think. and I also wondering could it cause any other damages to the CPU chip video card or the memory or the hard drive or the dvd-rom/cd-rw drive and cause it now to power up?

I have other a new ac adapter a dell the same one and a new battery too and i talk to the seller and i hope they will send me a replacement motherboard.

The computer tech guy at PC parts and supply don't have a clue.
I guess he never seen a laptop computer do this before. I told him that I'll try a new one and if that works with the new AC adapter and battery great then i have my old laptop computer back and then I'll do a clean reinstall of the o/s and clean it up. if not then i guess I'll put back the old motherboard back in and load up the shotgun and shot the DELL S.O.B.

Post subject: Re: when i turn on my laptop computer PART 2
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

AC adapters fail all the time, however normally when that happens they simply go dead and don't put out any power at all. That wouldn't cause any damage to a system, it just wouldn't receive power. In some cases when failing the voltage will be less than what it is supposed to be. That normally wouldn't cause any damage either, the system would simply not charge or power up. I believe it is rare to have one fail in an over-volt condition, which could possibly cause damage in the laptop motherboard and possibly other components in the system. Most of the time this happens when somebody plugs in the wrong AC adapter, one with either a different polarity or a higher voltage. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:40 pm 

Quote:
I believe it is rare to have one fail in an over-volt condition, which could possibly cause damage in the laptop motherboard and possibly other components in the system. Most of the time this happens when somebody plugs in the wrong AC adapter, one with either a different polarity or a higher voltage. Scott.

I been using the adapter that came with the dell laptop computer since I got it. But how can it be and if that adapter is bad or have a low volt condition maybe it just didn't have the full power to boot up the computer but why would that battery only without the AC adapter plug in would boot up the computer and not the Ac adapter on the new motherboard weird huh.

Anyways the seller on he Amazon is going to be sending me another motherboard and i also order a new AC adapter as the same as the old one is and this time I'm going to take that brand new AC adapter to PC parts and supply and have them test it to make sure it is working good. and I also order a brand new battery even tho the laptop says it good but it could still be bad. This computer I got in 2008 with windows vista home basic.

I'll keep you posted this is started to get fun here maybe just to much lol.

Maybe this will help someone else with the same issues that I'm having. I don't think it have to be the same brand laptop computer just like my friend says S**t happens.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 pm 

Scott wrote:
AC adapters fail all the time, however normally when that happens they simply go dead and don't put out any power at all. That wouldn't cause any damage to a system, it just wouldn't receive power. In some cases when failing the voltage will be less than what it is supposed to be. That normally wouldn't cause any damage either, the system would simply not charge or power up. I believe it is rare to have one fail in an over-volt condition, which could possibly cause damage in the laptop motherboard and possibly other components in the system. Most of the time this happens when somebody plugs in the wrong AC adapter, one with either a different polarity or a higher voltage. Scott.

hello Scott

Guess what the 3rd motherboard does the same thing as before I got the new Ac adapter and a new battery and it won't boot up as soon as I press the power button the led lights light up. But when I power of the computer and then turn on the computer back on then it boots up hmm not could it be the power switch board that could be going bad. I have switch out the Ram and that didn't do anything. The only two other things I can think of now it is that power switch board and the CPU that could be going bad. I don't know if the Cmos battery has anything to do with it or not. I don't think it would be the video card cause it not to boot as soon as I press the power button. What else is there.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware