Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: have the cpu speed now to
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:47 am 

I thought that I read somewhere that the new cpu now are at 4ghz or 5ghz now. Which cpu are they.

In the T420 what size hard drive that fit in it is it a 2.5 or is it smaller then a 2.5 inch drive.

I'm looking in to upgrading this hard drive to the SSD drive. and max out the memory 16gb with the fastest memory i can find at best buy.

On this T420 where is the Bluetooth card at?

I see that there are driver for it but I can't get the Bluetooth to work. It would be nice to be able to download photo from my cell phone to my computer and also be able to use a Bluetooth speaker.

Post subject: Re: have the cpu speed now to
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:34 am 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
I thought that I read somewhere that the new cpu now are at 4ghz or 5ghz now. Which cpu are they.

Commercially available desktop processors are available at 4GHz and faster: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... erSearch=1

Quote:
In the T420 what size hard drive that fit in it is it a 2.5 or is it smaller then a 2.5 inch drive.

It would fit a 2.5" drive that is 9.5mm (or less) in height.

Quote:
On this T420 where is the Bluetooth card at?

One of the biggest advantages of a ThinkPad is that Lenovo produces detailed service manuals that list every part and how to completely disassemble and reassemble the unit. That manual has the answer.

Quote:
I see that there are driver for it but I can't get the Bluetooth to work.

Make sure the Bluetooth module is installed, enabled in the BIOS Setup, turned on via the Hotkey Features Integration software, and you have the latest drivers installed. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:09 pm 

Quote:
Make sure the Bluetooth module is installed, enabled in the BIOS Setup, turned on via the Hotkey Features Integration software, and you have the latest drivers installed. Scott.

I don't see where in the bios setup to turn on the via the hotkey features integration software. I have the newest bios installed I still can't see where that bluetooth module where it is installed at on here if there is one on here. In the bios setup I don't see anything that said bluetooth enabled or disable.

thanks.
spiderman.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
In the bios setup I don't see anything that said bluetooth enabled or disable.

You should see it under Security; I/O Port Access:

Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:45 pm 

Scott wrote:
spiderman wrote:
In the bios setup I don't see anything that said bluetooth enabled or disable.

You should see it under Security; I/O Port Access:

Scott.

Nope I don't see it there and mine is not that long. is there something wrong with my computer

I don't see the microphone wireless I do see the fingerprint reader and the usb and a few other missing like the webcam etc

never mine I found it and the bluetooth is enable i found everything else and you show above thanks. So does this mean that the bluetooth module is install on my computer?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
Nope I don't see it there and mine is not that long.

According to p.189-190 in the T420 User Guide you should see exactly the same items on that BIOS Setup page as shown in the pic above.

Quote:
...is there something wrong with my computer

There might be if you have the latest BIOS installed and don't see the full list. Perhaps the system doesn't support Bluetooth or any of the other items missing from that page? Does your T420 have a Bluetooth status light (middle light in section 1 pictured below)?:

If you have the Bluetooth status light and it is off then either the module is not installed, not enabled in the BIOS Setup and/or not turned on via the ThinkPad Hotkey Features software (Alt-F5 brings up the radio controls). There is one other possibility, some ThinkPads (including the T420) have a physical master radio switch that when turned OFF will disable all wireless devices instantly. On the T420 it is #6 in the picture below, make sure it is ON:

Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware