Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: system won't shut down
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:07 pm 

Hi Scott. I am working on hp635,320Gb/2Gb,Windows 7,AMD E-300,1.30GHz300,1.30ghz. The system won't shut down except by holding down the power button. If you click on the shut down button, the screen goes off but power LED is still on and fan still working. I tried system restore but didn't work. Pls I need help. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: system won't shut down
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

I would first try a hard reset: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... cale=en_US

If that doesn't help then I would install (or reinstall) the latest power management software: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/publ ... nvOid=4059

If none of that helps then I would test to see if the problem was hardware or software by installing a temporary drive with a new clean install of Windows, drivers and power management software. If that doesn't solve the problem then most likely it is due to defective hardware. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:36 pm 

Alright man. Thanks a million times. I will let you know how it goes.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:14 am 

Hi Scott, I tried the above procedures but to no avail. I am thinking of installing a fresh copy of Windows. I will really appreciate more information. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Admin

If it worked properly when booting from a temporarily installed HDD with a fresh copy of Windows and drivers then that would suggest the original software was at fault. If not then that would suggest it might be hardware. If you suspect hardware I would test the system with the battery removed. I would also try clearing the CMOS RAM (BIOS Setup info). There should be an option to reset to defaults in the BIOS Setup or you can remove the RTC (Real Time Clock, aka CMOS battery). Unfortunately according to the service manual to get to that battery you have to remove just about everything from the system including the motherboard. Hopefully it is just a software issue that a reload will solve. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:12 am 

gigabyte wrote:
Hi Scott. I am working on hp635,320Gb/2Gb,Windows 7,AMD E-300,1.30GHz300,1.30ghz. The system won't shut down except by holding down the power button. If you click on the shut down button, the screen goes off but power LED is still on and fan still working. I tried system restore but didn't work. Pls I need help. Thanks in advance.

At the time of the shutdown is there any error messages that popup?

Are you running windows 7 pro?

have you try the ultimate boot cd windows 7

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Or you could have a virus on your computer that won't let you shut down.

maybe you could try this press the shift key while it is shutting down, it may shut down completely. Press shift key + Shut down and hold the shift key until it beeps.

also try the registry cleaner like CCleaner

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware