Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Toshiba 1800 laptop.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:55 pm 

Hi. I have an old Toshiba Satellite 1800 series laptop that has been sitting idle for a long time. I recently decided to wipe the HDD clean and now I want to try and do an install of Linux Mint. Problem being, is that the internal cd/dvd drive does not work. It just flashes yellow light all the time and will not spin/read any discs.
So I thought I would maybe try using an external cd/dvd drive to try and do the Linux install. I have tried unsuccessfully to use an external cd/dvd drive ( LG model GP60 ). The unit powers on via usb port - but as far as I can tell, does not show up in the bios or is not otherwise detected by the system. Is there any tricks or ways to make this external cd/dvd drive work for this purpose!? If not then it is no big deal. I just thought I would make some use of this otherwise idle/obsolete laptop, and familiarize myself with the Linux OS. Also, worth noting - I have recently updated the bios for this laptop. It was the only bios update available from the Toshiba Canada support site. Would appreciate any help/info that anyone might have. Thanks.
regards - Greg

Post subject: Re: Toshiba 1800 laptop.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately that system does not support booting from USB. I would recommend connecting the hard drive to another system, install the OS there, then move it back to the Toshiba. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware