Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Tablet Recommendation
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:32 pm 

Hi Scott-

I am looking for a new tablet. I am planning to use it mostly for reading but also like the idea of watching mp4s and other things that you can do.

I know that you are partial to Lenovo laptops as I am. In particular the maintenance manuals are so good it's a good selling point for me. I assume Lenovo is the same way about its manuals for tablets. Are you partial to Lenovo tablets too?

I am looking for something with a 7 inch screen, under $200, and lightweight.

I don't have much experience with tablets. Are there any particular models you would recommend?

Post subject: Re: Tablet Recommendation
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately I'm not much of a tablet user, I need a full fledged high-powered laptop to do my work. But if I did need a tablet I'd definitely check out a ThinkPad first: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/th ... et-series/

The great thing about the ThinkPad tablets is that they can function like a laptop with a full keyboard attached. Personally I would go for the ThinkPad X1 because the detachable keyboard includes the TrackPoint pointing/scrolling device, which I consider essential. Unfortunately none of the ThinkPad tablets are under $200, however you might find some deals for older models on eBay. If you get one let me know what you end up choosing and how well it works. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Tablet Recommendation
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:24 am 

I didn't know they made a tablet with a detachable keyboard.

A 7 inch screen seems to be just the right size for reading. It's just about the size of a book and I like to curl up with a book or the right size tablet.

I looked at your recommendations and couldn't find one with a 7 inch screen although I really liked the idea of a tablet with a detachable keyboard and TrackPoint. That got me thinking that I would like my tablet to work with a keyboard. It would be nice if they sold some kind of TrackPoint keyboard that nicely mounts a small 7 inch tablet. Unfortunately I found out that they don't make anything of the kind.

I chatted online with the Lenovo salespeople who were very helpful and didn't mind that I wasn't willing to buy anything until I had thought it over a while.

According to them Lenovo trackpoint keyboards will work with their 7 inch tablets. There are also many tablet stands available on Amazon. I plan on purchasing a TrackPoint keyboard and tablet stand and fixing them both to a board or something so that I can see the tablet screen easily when typing.

After looking around I finally decided on a Lenovo Tab 2 A7-20. It's lightweight (and in my price neighborhood) so it should be good for reading which is mostly what I will be using it for.

Thanks for the ideas. Bob.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware