Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: HP EliteBook 2540p
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:06 pm 

My dad has purchased an HP EliteBook 2540p Notebook PC via eBay for $100 plus $8.50 S&H. Scott, is such a laptop OK in your book? Would it run Windows 10 Pro well? Keep in mind that the EliteBook my dad got has an Intel Core i7 processor from the Arrandale family.

BTW, Scott, Happy New Year!

Post subject: Re: HP EliteBook 2540p
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:24 am 

While waiting for Scott's reply: I bought an almost identical HP Elitebook 2540p in July 2014. It came with Windows 7 Pro x64 SP 1 (Build 7601), and I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 at the last minute in July 2016. It took a long time to get it updated to Version 1607 (Build 14393.576), supposedly the latest. I ignore a lot of the extraneous features, and have to put up with a lot of time installing the stuff I use. Apparently MS was in a big hurry to get W10 out to the public, so they have a long list of updates, which are a real pain.

My HP Elitebook is very fast, and I am very pleased with it and its 12" screen. It's potluck buying used from Ebay, as you well know. I am now in the process of installing W10 Pro X64 onto a Gateway LT4010U (bought new 2012 with Windows 7 Starter), and I am spending hours at the task. Hence I haven't had the time to install Classic Shell as Scott suggested/recommended. The LT4010U has a 10.1" screen, nice little unit, and it, too is shaping up nicely, and VERY FAST.

For my HP 2540p I downloaded a free W10 Pro x64 ISO from Microsoft.com onto an 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Via Ebay I got an appropriate License Code (emailed immediately from GB) for less than a sawbuck, and inserted it at the beginning of the OS install. At first I opted to skip the entering the LC, but it kept wrapping around til I wised up.

Good luck with your Dad's HP 2540P. Walt

Post subject: Re: HP EliteBook 2540p
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Walt for chiming in. I like that it has the trackpoint type pointing device and the rest of the specs seem fine. I believe it would run Win10 just fine as Walt has pointed out, however I still recommend Win7. Let us know what you think about it after using it for awhile. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware