Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Why is my dvd drive keep on ejecting by itself?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:10 am 

When i tap on the laptop computer right where the dvd drive is or tap the enter key hard it will eject itself I have the T420 thinkpad lenovo

does this happen to anyone else weird.......

Maybe I should pop out the drive and blow on the connector and pop the drive back in? or is there something wrong with the drive itself. I also check for viruses and spyware and it came up clean.

This is just to funny maybe it just want me to take a break and put in a movie lol...

Post subject: Re: Why is my dvd drive keep on ejecting by itself?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like a problem with the tray latch mechanism. You may be able to repair it but most likely you will need to replace the drive. Let me know how you end up solving the problem. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:17 am 

Scott wrote:
It sounds like a problem with the tray latch mechanism. You may be able to repair it but most likely you will need to replace the drive. Let me know how you end up solving the problem. Scott.

How would I fix the latch mechanism. so when I tap on the top of the computer right where the drive is at after taping it a few times the light comes on and then i tap it again then the drive opens up. so you think its the drive. I also boot up to the bios and then tap it and it did the same thing. Have you ran into this to on any of your thinkpads and lenovo thinkpads.... ?????

so you think the drive is not working like it should. What would cause the latch mechanism cause from tapping on the drive its self or on the tap the computer on top right where the drive is cause it to open like that.

I am going to look on amazon to see if I can find another same model drive for this. I can see why you want a usb dvd rw drive and not use the slim drive lol...... it just want me to put in one of your dvd's lol... <G

spiderman.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 am 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
How would I fix the latch mechanism.

I couldn't tell you without inspecting the drive personally.

Quote:
Have you ran into this to on any of your thinkpads and lenovo thinkpads.... ?????

Lenovo doesn't make optical drives but over the years I have seen optical drives with failing latches or door mechanisms. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:05 pm 

Quote:
Lenovo doesn't make optical drives but over the years I have seen optical drives with failing latches or door mechanisms. Scott

So would any dvd drive work with this thinkpad T420 laptop. So I can go to like officedepot and get like a LG dvd rw dl and so on.

I also mean I really don't use the drive much but is drives me nuts when I type on the computer and it darn drives open up.

it would be nice if I could use it as a coffee cup holder lol...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
So would any dvd drive work with this thinkpad T420 laptop. So I can go to like officedepot and get like a LG dvd rw dl and so on.

Not any drive will work, you need a drive that matches the front bezel size/position and the rear connector position and keying: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=th ... ical+drive

In some cases you can install the Lenovo specific rear connector housing/key from the failing drive on a new generic drive. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 pm 

Scott, I thought one of the reasons you recommend ThinkPads is because Lenovo offers easy access to oem parts and service manuals. Is this not the case anymore?. Do they still offer this and also the service videos, or is this no longer the case?.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:10 am 
Site Admin

That is definitely still the case. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware