Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: I amd wondering about
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:53 pm 

I am wondering about the SSD SATA.

I have a dell laptop and it has windows vista and it is a dell inspiron 6400/ E1505 model.
I need to get a new hard drive soon

The hard drive is a SATA not a SSD..
the interface SATA
Transfer mode sata/150mbbs.

Now I was wondering if the SSD faster then the mechanical hard drive I have in it right now even if the SSD can only read at 1.5 Gbps. with the hard drive being that slow would i need a SSD 1 or 2 or 3.

I was also want to know is PNY SSD any good cause at best buy they got one for $49.00 and the size of that hard drive is 120GB SSD it is a bit bigger then the mechanical hard drive and that hard drive is a 80gb

here is the system manaul I wish I can find the specs of the computer but dell took it down for some reason.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-p ... _en-us.pdf

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... c1/manuals for the user manual

another thing what do I need to enable slice on the windows vista basic sp2.
and it is a 32bit cpu and windows is 32bit..
and it has 2gb of ram and a duo 1.73 ghz.
thanks if you need more info let me know and I will try to dig hard to find the specs..

Post subject: Re: I amd wondering about
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
The hard drive is a SATA not a SSD..

SATA describes an interface, you can have both HDDs and SSDs connected via SATA.

Quote:
Now I was wondering if the SSD faster then the mechanical hard drive I have in it right now even if the SSD can only read at 1.5 Gbps. with the hard drive being that slow would i need a SSD 1 or 2 or 3.

Most modern SSDs would be significantly faster than most HDDs. In general a modern SSD will perform as fast as the interface in the system will allow.

Quote:
I was also want to know is PNY SSD any good cause at best buy they got one for $49.00 and the size of that hard drive is 120GB SSD it is a bit bigger then the mechanical hard drive and that hard drive is a 80gb

I currently recommend Samsung or Intel SSDs. If you try a PNY SSD let me know how it works out.

Quote:
I wish I can find the specs of the computer but dell took it down for some reason.

You can find the specs for any Dell system by entering the Service Tag here: http://www.dell.com/support

If it doesn't have a 64-bit CPU then you will have to use a 32-bit OS. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm 

I just want to let you know I have edit this post Scott I was having a bad night the other night and was not thinking right. I did not mean chkdsk or slice What I meant was defrag and trim. Please read this post again and please replay. sorry.

Yes it is 32 bit cpu and a windows vista basic 32bit. I can't get the specs off the dell website and yes I know about the service tag I think they remove the stuff because of the age of the laptop computer.

I want to know how would if disable defrag and enable Trim for the SSD another thing I would like to know can I use a SSD and the main hard drive like for the o/s and software and to save files to it. Because I don't have another slot to put in a mechanical hard drive. I just a not clear with the defrag and formatting a drive would the defrag and format do the same amount of harm to the SSD... I think I am going to go with a sandisk ssd. what am I going to do is just clone the mechanical drive to the new SSD because I just don't want to go though all the updates and finding the drivers for it just a pain. and I keep this computer clean I all ready did a clean install of windows vista on it and update it and it is working good but the drive is going bad on me and it is slow so this is the only way I can think of speeding up the computer. I can also upgrade the cpu. the video card I repair myself and it is working great now. as well.

Last edited by spiderman on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

What is the service tag? You can certainly run Vista from an SSD however it does not natively support TRIM and you should disable defrag. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:23 pm 

Scott wrote:
What is the service tag? You can certainly run Vista from an SSD however it does not natively support TRIM and you should disable defrag. Scott.

how do I disable the defrag after cloning the hard drive.

The service tag is 7SCRYC1

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

I hate to do this but...: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=disable+defrag+windows+vista

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware