Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Speed test of my HDD on the T420 thinkpad
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:39 pm 

This hard drive is 7200 RMP on this should is I am not sure on how to read the speed test I have the two test I done on my hard drive on my T420 lenovo thinkpad. Another thing that is bugging me about the SSD is can you use the hard drive like the HDD or do you need both and keep the O/s on the SSD and keep data on the HDD or can you keep the o/s and the data on the same SSD.

Another think before I go and buy a new SSD drive What should I get cause I don't know what the sata speed is on this laptop motherboard is it sata I or II or III I also heard that there is soon going to be a sata IIII

Another thing I know I ask you this before scott and i am sorry to say this again. Will windows 7 pro 64 bit disable the defrag and what do i need to do to enable Trim in windows 7 pro.
What i am going to is clone this hard drive on to a SSD. I know I don't have any viruses or maleware or any other stuff on here and I know windows 7 pro is stable. I just don't want to go though all the BS of redownload all the windows updates and drivers again.
When I do a clone that is everything and all bits of data and software is coping on to the SSD I have not done this before so this is new to me.

Thanks for the help.
I trust you more then I do carey holzman.

Attachments:
disk info 2018 lenovo T420 thinkpad.PNG
disk info 2018 lenovo T420 thinkpad.PNG [ 93.42 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]
speed test of HDD 2nd test 2018.PNG
speed test of HDD 2nd test 2018.PNG [ 52.32 KiB | Viewed 1388 times ]
Disk speed of my HDD from T420 Lenovo thinkpad.PNG
Disk speed of my HDD from T420 Lenovo thinkpad.PNG [ 52.42 KiB | Viewed 1388 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Speed test of my HDD on the T420 thinkpad
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

I highly recommend you install a SSD in your T420, I have two in my T520 and would never go back. Win7 will automatically disable defrag and enable trim for SSDs. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:57 pm 

Scott wrote:
I highly recommend you install a SSD in your T420, I have two in my T520 and would never go back. Win7 will automatically disable defrag and enable trim for SSDs. Scott.

I would like to know what clone software you use and trust. I know of one call Acronis true image.

I do i know if this T420 laptop will support sata III I also seen on the website it also support msata on pg 114 and there also a part about the SSD on pg70

I try to look for the see what type of sata this T420 can support sata I sata II or sata III
I will try a google search.
https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/p ... 0i_hmm.pdf

Where can i find the information if this can use a sata III 6 Gb/s The drive in here I am not sure if it is the original drive. Remember I had to install lots of drivers after i got it from amazon

I also wondering if you ever heard of these Adata SSD
I guess any SSD would be fast. I also want to know how big of a drive can this T420 support.

https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-ASU650SS-9 ... uage=en_US

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

I use RoboCopy but I also trust Acronis. Let me know what you use and why. Scott.

Post subject: Why is there so many bad SSD drivers scott
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:09 am 

I have look on newegg.com website and there are people that report scandisk Crucial and samsung and intel are bad and even over heated as well. I though the drives were better then the HDD.

hmmm.
and they say some of the SSD D.O.A as well.

and some of them don't last more then a year

I don't know if they were defrag the the SSD or what. or they don't know what the hack they are doing. hmm.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:51 pm 

Scott wrote:
I use RoboCopy but I also trust Acronis. Let me know what you use and why. Scott.

What brand did you install in your T520 I have a HDD OF 320GB as you can tell from my screen shot above The only hard drive that come clost to a 320GB hard drive is a 240GB or a 480GB. I found out that this T420 can support a 500GB hard drive.

lots of bad reviews on SSD's drives see my other post. hmm I guess just like anything else you can get a bad SSD just like bad ram.

What software do you use to test out flash drives and SSD and SD-cards to make sure they are what they are seem to be the right size and not fake.

I have never mess with a SSD yet. So this is going to be a learning thing and I want this laptop T420 to last for 5 to 7 more years or so. I know I can install an intel I7 cpu and slap in two 8GB of DDR3 in it. That should make windows 10 happy when i install windows 10 next year in april. I also found another MRT finding new stuff in windows 7 I did not know about. Are there still power toys or power tools for windows like they did back in windows xp days.

Sorry I can't trust anything that made in china. Are they any SSD made in the USA.

thanks. again I also read about the trim command and how to check to see if it is enable or disable. I take it that windows 7 will handle the trim on it own when need to. unlike defrag where you can run it on a HDD anytime you want to. I also want to know can you on a SSD still run disk clean up tool on a SSD.

Post subject: update I have got a SSD scott please read this still need
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:17 pm 

I still need a little help

I have order the acronis true image 2018 I order it off from Amazon it was cheap and what I am going to do is make a bootable USB drive for the Acronis like Carey holzoman made and boot acronis from there. I should also update the bios too. I will do that here soon right after i get the Acronis in about two weeks I hope this is Reliable SSD

I got the new SSD for the T420 thinkpad Now when i do a clone of that drive Do I need to download the Samsung magician and the essential toolkit Thanks.

It is the Nanad SSD 860 EVO 500gb this should work find with this T420 right with 8Gb of ram with windows 7 64bit pro.

and Later when this laptop dies in a few year I could use this SSD like in another laptop or even a Desktop.

I want to know what brand did you use in your T520 thinkpad.

Thanks you have a good day sir.

I hope i get a reply soon from you.

When cloning the drive the windows 7 will still disable the defrag and enable trim right. and I think in the bios the ACHI is enable is that fine. I maybe have other stuff to ask you. I want ask you then looking on line so I make sure I did this right the first time.
thanks again.

Post subject: Re: update I have got a SSD scott please read this still ne
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:39 pm 

Hey Spiderman. I think I might be able to help you out. You don't really need Acronis unless you absolutely want it. You can use the Samsung Data Migration software. It's free. I used it and it works great. Just connect the new SSD to your laptop via enclosure or doc. Run the software and it's practically self-explanatory. You can easily cancel your Amazon order and save some money. Just trying to help you out.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

I put a Samsung drive in my T520. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Installing an SSD is the single most effective way to speed up a system. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Why is there so many bad SSD drivers scott
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

I currently recommend Intel and Samsung SSDs. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 pm 

Scott wrote:
I put a Samsung drive in my T520. Scott.

I and not understand this Samsung magician software etc.

do I need to install that software on my old hard drive first or install it on the new SSD. and the cloning software from Samsung what ever it is called to clone the drive if I were to use it can that be install on a bootable usb flash drive. how did you clone your ssd. I am reading on the samsung website but I don't want to install software on my HDD and then clone that software from samsung on to the new SSD. I guess I do need the samsung magicaian software if I am going to enable the RApid mode etc.

Scott
I know you said you robocopy or acronis 2018 or have you used the samsung cloning software.

I still have to wait for the weather to clear up before i do the upgrade and the bios update.

do the SSD need to be set in ADHI in the bios

Do I need to format the SSD or will the cloning software format the SSD before it clone the drive. I also heard that you have to wait for for a few minute after you enable the trim

I am not a fully awake so i may have to ask you more stuff so I can fully understand and not making any errors on my part thanks.

this is my first at installing a SSD and cloning..

I would like to know how can you tell if you got a fake SSD the samsung SSD i got was from best buy and the drive V-nand SDD 860 EVo for the T420 I was looking on their website and i don't see this model for the firmware update and the SSD 500gb model number is MZ-76E500
spider-man

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

If you think the drive you received is counterfeit then I recommend you contact Samsung to see how you can tell. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post subject: I just want to make sure somthing here before installing SSD
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 am 

I have some information that you can look into before I clone the drive and install it.

if you think I need to change something let me know ok.

I gave you the model of the samsung SSD.

here is the screen i got for you. if you need others let me know. thanks.

Attachments:
motherboard cpuz.PNG
motherboard cpuz.PNG [ 30.09 KiB | Viewed 1423 times ]
cpuz spd thinkpad lenovo.PNG
cpuz spd thinkpad lenovo.PNG [ 34.89 KiB | Viewed 1423 times ]
cpuz of the thinkpad lenovo.PNG
cpuz of the thinkpad lenovo.PNG [ 43.58 KiB | Viewed 1423 times ]
 Post subject: I have a question on
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:03 pm 

Scott wrote:

I want to ask after you clone a drive and install the SSD into the computer and you say it will automatically disable defrag and enable trim or do you mean by reinstalling windows 7 pro 64 then it will automatically disable the defrag and enable trim.

Post subject: Re: I have a question on
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Don’t Waste Time Optimizing Your SSD, Windows Knows What Its Doing

Post subject: Re: I have a question on
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:29 am 

Scott wrote:

I find this weird on my HDD not the SSD i have not install the SSD yet.

Why is trim enable on my HDD

Thanks for the information.

Attachments:
what is going on trim is enable on my HDD drive.PNG
what is going on trim is enable on my HDD drive.PNG [ 45.79 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]
 Post subject: Re: I just want to make sure somthing here before installing
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:39 am 

Now in the screen shots I have 8gb of ram I just want to know is it ok to enable Rapid mode on this V-nand SSD 860 Evo SSD. model number is MT-76E500

I now understand and I think I can trust windows 7 to do it job. I also want to know have you ever update on any SSD and HDD firmware

I gave you the information on this T420 in the screen shots above.

I also don't understand why is trim is enable on my HDD drive when it not a SSD I have not install it yet I am waiting for the Acronis to come so i can clone the drive.

Post subject: V-nano SSD 860 Evo 500GB firmware
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:05 am 

I want to know how do you update the firmware on the new SSD that don't have any o/s install on it yet.

I just want to know how to go about it.

thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 am 

Spiderman, just so you know Acronis 2019 is availabe. Not sure but maybe they will let you upgrade for free since you just purchased the 2018 version.

Yep, you should be able to get a free upgrade if you purchased Acronis 2018 after July 23, 2018.

Post subject: Re: V-nano SSD 860 Evo 500GB firmware
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

What is the manufacturer specified procedure? Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:05 am 

Scott wrote:
What is the manufacturer specified procedure? Scott.

it is the samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO 500GB
MODEL number is MZ - 76E500

Thanks i also ipdate the bios in the T420 thinkpad. Also wonder when i get that drive install with the hard drive light will flash when it is in use.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:03 pm 

Scott

1) is there a way to delete all the system restore points before i clone the drive to the SSD.

2) do I put the new SSD in the laptop and then hookup the HHD to a usb converter like the one i have from ugreen i got last winter.

3) do i need to and SSD drivers as well to make the new SSD bootable I am using the acroins 2019 to make the clone of the drive.

4) do i need to update any hardware drivers on this T420 before i clone the drive.

Thanks. if there anything else I need to know before i clone please let me know thanks. I want this to go good..

I make a bootable acronis flash drive.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
is there a way to delete all the system restore points before i clone the drive to the SSD.

Yes.

Quote:
do I put the new SSD in the laptop and then hookup the HHD to a usb converter like the one i have from ugreen i got last winter...

That is one way. What does Samsung say? Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:10 pm 

Quote:
spiderman wrote:
is there a way to delete all the system restore points before i clone the drive to the SSD.

Yes

[b]
Before I clone the Hdd to SSD on the T420 thinkpad
[/b]

Should i delete the system restore and do this run then type in temp and delete all the temps then run then %temp% and delete those before cloning and is there anything else I should delete before cloning. am i missing anything.

Is there a way to disable the system restore points I mean when doing windows updates it making restore points I want to try to making not to write to the SSD as much as it does with the HDD.

I just want to make sure that SSD don't get fill up as the HDD does I know about trim.
once I get the info i will give you the info on the new SSD and how it is working scott ok. thanks again.

P.S

Would I need update any hardware drivers for this T420 thinkpad. beside the bios I have update the bios. I also found out that this thinkpad can support up to 2TB. Does that T520 does that have usb 3.0... Just wondering. I may get a new later on and install widows 10 on that one.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

You don't have to worry about restore points or drivers. Clone the drive to the SSD using the procedure Samsung recommends. Scott.

Post subject: about the Samsung SSD I install and clone
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:33 am 

I have install the SSD and clone it and when ok but the sound did not work I had to uninstall the sound driver and restart the computer and now the sound is working what would of cause that?

I also want to know should I enable rapid mode. did you enable rapid mode how can i tell if defrag is disable scott.

and here is the the bench mark i ran on the drive.

this is what i ran and it looks good but should I enable rapid mode or not. it seems to be faster now. and I also Ran over provisioning and set aside about 10% of the SSD is that ok scott. Samsung 500gb total capacity of the SSD the magician sees is 466gb but the free space is 457gb (408 free)

Attachments:
samsung magician.PNG
samsung magician.PNG [ 107.85 KiB | Viewed 1266 times ]
File comment: this is what i ran and it looks good but should I enable rapid mode or not. it seems to be faster now. and I also
Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SPEED TEST 9 14 2018.PNG
Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SPEED TEST 9 14 2018.PNG [ 50.62 KiB | Viewed 1267 times ]
 Post subject: about trem
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 am 

I want to know does trem runs by itself or do i need to run trem and so how do i run trem on my SSD. Scott

Post subject: Re: about the Samsung SSD I install and clone
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 am 

Hey spiderman. If you look on the bottom of the Samsung Magician window, you can click on "Performance Optimization" and that will allow you to run trim. You can also click on "Performance Benchmark" and check your speeds- you should use that instead of Crystal Disk info which you seem to be fond of. I'm not sure what Scott thinks about "Rapid mode" but I use it on my pcs. I would enable it if I were you. I don't have over-provisioning running but I'm not sure what Scott thinks about using that feature.

Post subject: Re: about the Samsung SSD I install and clone
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Rapid Mode is a cache that uses RAM in the system, if you have enough memory then it wouldn't hurt to turn it on, but the performance increase (if any) isn't always noticeable. I wouldn't worry about over-provisioning with a modern drive on a modern (Win7 or later) OS. Scott.

Post subject: Re: about trem
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:54 am 
Site Admin

If you are running Windows 7 or later TRIM is handled automatically. Scott.

Post subject: SSD what is it sow low
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:36 pm 

it is a 500gb hard drive SSD

the one I just install last night I have notice now it is a bit low what do you think.
here is a screen shot

Attachments:
the new  SSD what is it so low.PNG
the new SSD what is it so low.PNG [ 33.73 KiB | Viewed 1258 times ]
 Post subject: Re: about trim
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:35 pm 

Scott wrote:
If you are running Windows 7 or later TRIM is handled automatically. Scott.

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify and if is = 0 is trim desable or enable ?

I just want to make sure trim enable

I have also put a screen shot so is = 0 does that mean trim is enable and if it is =1 then it is disable.

Attachments:
trim.PNG
trim.PNG [ 50.6 KiB | Viewed 1260 times ]
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 pm 

one more thing

should i Disable Disk Indexing or just leave it alone what are you thoughts on my new SSD
thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

I would leave it alone. Scott.

Post subject: Re: SSD what is it sow low
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Looks fine to me. Scott.

Post subject: Re: SSD what is it sow low
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:58 am 

Scott wrote:
Looks fine to me. Scott.

Just to clear something what what looks fine to you friend.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 am 

Scott wrote:

Just to clear it up leave what alone my friend.

hey this computer is speeding up the more i use it is that normal for a SSD.

I just want to let you know RAPID MODE is not enable. I only have 8gb of ram this T420 I'm am thinking about upgrading the ram to 16gb. Windows 7 pro 64 bit should see it.

It seems that the web pages loading faster and it seems some of the other software loads faster and the boot up time is fast like under 4 to 7 sec on the SSD then it was to the hdd to 2 to 4 mins bootup time.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
one more thing
should i Disable Disk Indexing or just leave it alone what are you thoughts on my new SSD
thanks.
Scott wrote:

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware