Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: T420 CD/dvd hard drive caddy tray
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M ... BJ8Z2FSP4H

SHINESTAR 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy Tray Replacement for Lenovo Thinkpad T420 T430 T510 T520 T530 W510 W520 W530, Internal Laptop CD/DVD-ROM Optical Modular Bay Adapter to 2.5 Inch 12.7MM

Is this good or scott do you know a better one that you can get off from amazon.

Post subject: Re: T420 CD/dvd hard drive caddy tray
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

I've not tested that one and the reviews are suspicious. I got mine from Lenovo. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 pm 

Scott wrote:
I've not tested that one and the reviews are suspicious. I got mine from Lenovo. Scott.

I will order it and get back to you when i have try it out it is cheaper then lenovo.

and i think the size of the cd/dvd drive is about 12.7MM. on the T420.

If I don't like it then I just ask for my money back and amazon gives back my money with the A-Z claim.

another thing it will make the SSD last longer oh by the when i download files and stuff can I download the files to the HDD that in the caddy tray or to a usb hard drive. it won't work or the files I download from the internet need to be download the c drive. I thought it might be like back in the days when trying to download files to a 1.44 floppy disk never workd for me but that when i did not know to much about computers back in 1988.

take care.

in her next book and video you should do a part on how to clone a hard drive in a laptop
just a thought your way scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 pm 

I have order it and it will be here by Friday 9/21/2018 and i will let you know how its go with that brand.

it cheaper then lenovo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:03 pm 

Scott wrote:

I like this caddy try it came with a screw driver and screws.
and it was i think it was 6.99 for it.

I was wondering what your thoughts about me putting in my HHD in to the Caddy and using it as storage my main hard drive is the SSD samssung. and the HHD that came with the pc would be the extra storage. let me know.

thanks.

Last edited by spiderman on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds fine to me. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:04 am 

Scott wrote:
It sounds fine to me. Scott.

I was wondering something. With a HDD in the caddy tray will that build up heat.

another thing is I want to make a image of that drive before I install that drive to format it. will a image of that HDD that came with the T420 thinkpad will it fit on one cd and if i did a image of the drive restoring that image on new drive will it be just like a clone. When i cone the HDD to the Samsung SSD below is what both drive use up.

thanks.
and this caddy tray is good buy cause it came with a screw driver and screws and it has a match front panel.

I also the same time I order this also
Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized for SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SSHD) for $8.99

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-inch ... dpSrc=srch

Attachments:
the new  SSD what is it so low.PNG
the new SSD what is it so low.PNG [ 33.73 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
I was wondering something. With a HDD in the caddy tray will that build up heat.

Install identical drives in the system and the tray and check the temperatures while copying files between them. I believe they will be about the same.

Quote:
another thing is I want to make a image of that drive before I install that drive to format it. will a image of that HDD that came with the T420 thinkpad will it fit on one cd and if i did a image of the drive restoring that image on new drive will it be just like a clone.

One CD only holds about 700MB, will that be enough? Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 pm 

Scott wrote:
spiderman wrote:

Install identical drives in the system and the tray and check the temperatures while copying files between them. I believe they will be about the same.

Quote:
another thing is I want to make a image of that drive before I install that drive to format it. will a image of that HDD that came with the T420 thinkpad will it fit on one cd and if i did a image of the drive restoring that image on new drive will it be just like a clone.

One CD only holds about 700MB, will that be enough? Scott.

I did know if the backup software will compress the image file down to a cd or not. I have never done that yet

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Let me know what you find out. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm 

Scott wrote:
Let me know what you find out. Scott.

This what I did I went down to the local computer place and got me the same brand hard drive HDD 500GB 7200 rpm i install that drive into the caddy tray I will keep the other HDD as a backup with the o/s and stuff like that in case the SSD goes bad. I will keep that drive with all the software and o/s on that hard drive for a while and if I find this SSD is going to be find in about a month or so then I will just format that drive and get a hard drive enclosure and use that drive for more space lol....

right now this T420 right now has SSD 500gb and HDD 500gb = one TB lol..

ok seems to be working and lol I replace the CD/DVD drive that keep opening by it self lol later on if I need to I will just get a USB cd/dvd writer.

thanks.
have a good one and I can't get over how much faster this computer is now.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware