Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: My new SSD is losing spaace and i don't know why
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:51 pm 

the SSD 500GB and i am losing free space on my T420 thinkpad the free space was 420GB and then drop down to 411GB then down to 410GB then down to 409GB what is going on. for no reason at all. I have not install anything since I clone from the HDD to the SSD. drives me nuts where the free space went to on the SSD. Don't for get it is the same SSD that i install in the T420 Samsun Evo860 500GB.

thanks.

Post subject: Re: My new SSD is losing spaace and i don't know why
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

The free space is almost certainly going down because the operating system is saving more or larger files. I recommend you investigate and let me know what you find. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:35 pm 

Scott wrote:
The free space is almost certainly going down because the operating system is saving more or larger files. I recommend you investigate and let me know what you find. Scott.

on the SSD

I don't know where to start looking. :(

do I need to uncheck all files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to files properties? or or leave it checked.

thanks.

Should I do a clean up system files ?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

TreeSize Free is an excellent tool for monitoring file and space usage. If you find anything better let me know and why. I generally recommend CCleaner Slim for "cleaning up" files. If you find anything better let me know how and why. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 pm 

Scott wrote:
TreeSize Free is an excellent tool for monitoring file and space usage. If you find anything better let me know and why. I generally recommend CCleaner Slim for "cleaning up" files. If you find anything better let me know how and why. Scott.

I think I found out why i am losing space on my SSD drive umm when I did the update to my anti-virus software vipre advanced security for god sake I am running windows 7 pro 64biit the SSd space was at 409GB drop down to 408gb after I did the definitions. yeah I know I shouldn't have a anti-virus software install. but there is new ways of getting malware viruses spyware just from going to a website.

I have ran vipre on usb hard drive and found tones of viruses so I know this is working right.
that is another reason I have a good anti-virus software with advanced security on my computer. I check out people hard drives before I make a clone or a backup of their hard drive or SSD.

I want to know have you every try the M-disc yet and a Mdisk drive?

Quote:
]TreeSize Free is an excellent tool for monitoring file

I have not download the treesize yet. I see they have a portable version. which one did you download and use scott thanks. then I won't download it I don't want to install software that I don't use that much or don't care for.
thanks.

How do I stop windows from making restore points and what is the best way to delete them. might free up some SSD space.

Far as the portable Dvd drive for this T420. I thinking about getting a desktop USB 5.25 enclosure and buy a dsktop cd\dvd rw combo drive. I am going to look on amazon and then put links to them so you can have a look and see witch one is better. Scott can this T420 will it work with a blue dvd drive Rw. hmm.

thanks. take care.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 am 

when I ran this in the search box in windows on drive c where the SSD is this is what I used to search to see what is taking up SSD space and i search for size:gigantic and i took a screen shot of it.

later I will download that treesize software portable version and see what it tells me and i will try and post a screen shot of that as well. like i said I do have anti-virus software and i do keep that up to date.

every time I do the update to the antivirus the SSD space drop down like from 408gb ro 407gb let say that.

Attachments:
SSD samnsung why is it eating up my drive space updated 2018.png
SSD samnsung why is it eating up my drive space updated 2018.png [ 46.73 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware