Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Recommendation for a new Laptop
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:45 am 

Hi Scott,

I was asked to make a recommendation for someone who wanted to buy a brand new laptop. I tried to make a few recommendations. What could you include on this list?

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Here you go: viewtopic.php?p=1746#1746

Bottom line: ThinkPads are the best by far, choose R-series or T-series for most needs. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 pm 

Great! Thanks Scott,

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:24 pm 

Hi Scott,

Z series Lenovo ThinkPad? Not in Australia mate.

I work at THE prominent IT reseller to SMB, corp and education here in Australia and Lenovo ThinkPad laptop PCs are a major product line. We have the R, T and X series.

When Lenovo offer HDMI output (HDMI 1.3 that is), then I'll buy one....and not before <g>.

Rod.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

The Z-series is defunct (discontinued), I recommend the R or T series for most applications.

Quote:
When Lenovo offer HDMI output (HDMI 1.3 that is), then I'll buy one....and not before <g>.

Then a ThinkPad isn't in your future. IBM/Lenovo will probably never include HDMI, since that is a more limited consumer level interface not intended for high performance PCs, especially not business or workstation class systems. Currently DVI is best as that is what most monitors support, however in the future that will likely change to DisplayPort and *not* HDMI. I say that mainly because DisplayPort is more powerful than HDMI, it is free, and perhaps most importantly (next to it being free, that is <g>), it is endorsed by both Intel and AMD: http://www.displayport.org

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:57 pm 

Oh, did I say HDMI....I meant to say...ummm....DisplayPort...LOL.

Seriously, I have heard of DisplayPort but I have been very slack in learning about it....until the last 24 hours. Thanks Scott.

Since DisplayPort 1.1 supports (or is going to support) HDCP, do you think we will see DisplayPort - to - HDMI cables?

The idea is I want to be able to connect the laptop to a large screen LCD or plasma 16:9 HDTV (1920 x 1080) via HDMI. I would of couse use DVI if I could but almost impossible to find an LCD or plasma HDTV with DVI input/s, they are all HDMI....and for good reason.

It is the size of the screens that I want for all my DVD movies (my 20inch Samsung widescreen computer monitor just doesn't cut it any more) and in the near future; blueray 1080p. Currently the largest widescreen (that I am aware of) 16:10 computer monitor is 30inch at 2560 x 1600. We have a few at my workplace.

Rod.

Last edited by pctech_au on Sat May 10, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:38 am 
Site Admin

pctech_au wrote:
Since DisplayPort 1.1 supports (or is going to support) HDCP, do you think we will see DisplayPort - to - HDMI cables?

Yes. According to DataPro, "Consumers will be able to purchase simple HDMI adaptors for DisplayPort hardware, or can make use of HDMI-to-DisplayPort cables.": http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/displayport_info.html

Dell has at least 2 displays currently available with DisplayPort connectors: http://tinyurl.com/4xbrpd

I wanted to add that the smaller size of DisplayPort vs. either Analog VGA or DVI makes it ideal for laptops as well. While DisplayPort is a superset of HDMI and very similar in many ways, HDMI has pretty much always been out of the question for PCs due to the licensing cost. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware