Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: HP laptop will not boot
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:44 pm 

I was doing a little experimenting with my laptop earlier, I wanted to see if there was a beep code if the CMOS battery is removed (I did this with main battery still connected to avoid bumping the BIOS). Unfortunately I'm not that lucky, and the BIOS ended up getting dumped anyway. I there a way to restore the BIOS on a system that can not boot Windows? (This is when I wish I had bought your Upgrading and Repair Laptops book, lol)

Another question, is BIOS and CMOS the same thing?

Post subject: Re: HP laptop will not boot
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

BIOS and CMOS are not the same. I have a very detailed explanation of both in Chapter 5 (BIOS) of URPCs 18th: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078973 ... elsupgr-20

You'll want to see the section titled "BIOS and CMOS RAM" on p. 445-446. Basically the BIOS contains the POST (Power On Self-Test), Setup program, Bootstrap loader, and some low level drivers, while the CMOS RAM primarily stores settings for the Setup program.

By removing the CMOS battery you lost the Setup program settings, so all you need to do to re-establish them is to run your BIOS Setup program, check the settings (and change any that you want to such as the boot sequence), then save and exit. Setup options are covered in detail on p. 476-500.

To run the BIOS Setup program, normally you hit a key during the POST. What key depends on the system mfr., for example on my ThinkPad laptops I hit the F1 key. Scott.

Post subject: Re: HP laptop will not boot
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:11 pm 

Thanks for the info Scott, It turns out, the RAM was not securely seated into their slots (I took the RAM out earlier to check their size, I am planning on upgrading from 1 GB to 2 GB or RAM. I was under the assumption that there was already a 1 GB module installed, when in fact there are two 512 MB modules; I guess I'll have to save up enough money to buy two 1 GB modules instead of just one.) Sorry about the long rant. Anyway, I reseated the RAM (securely this time,) turned on my laptop, when into the BIOS setup, set the date, time and boot order, saved changes and exited. My laptop restarted and Booted Windows.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware