Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Replacing laptop Screen
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:08 am 

Hey Scott my wifes friend wanted to know if I could replace their laptop screen for them. I kept asking about the laptop make and model but he wouldn't tell me. Now he seems to be arguing with me that I don't need the make and model number, just a number on the screen. Here is an email I recieved from him,

"laptop brand and model means nothing because all companies use whatever works for screens and its different everytime. that is why with laptops you need the numbers from the actual screen.
also i found all kinds of screens cheap like the one you sent me. But in my experiences if I cant see the connector that connects it to the laptop then i dont buy it because a lot of time they A: have the wrong connector or B: dont have one at all.
That is why i found the one i emailed you because it shows the proper connector i need for my particular laptop.
I found all kinds with my screen # as low as 75.00 but i am not chancing it not fitting my connector.
Thanks though"

Post subject: Re: Replacing laptop Screen
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Admin

It is best to go by the laptop make and model, or the specific laptop mfr. part number, as that will give you the widest set of choices. You can also go by the screen OEM number, however since laptop mfrs. will often use a number of different OEM screens (with the same relative specs) in a given system, using the OEM number may result in more limited choices. Laptop screen replacements are available from:

Scott.

PS: Sounds like you need a new friend. I'd charge that guy a minimum of $100 for the labor alone. <g>

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am 

Thanks a lot Scott. That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure so I asked you because I knew you could give me a difinitive answer. Actually I thought I read that in one of your laptop books.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:47 pm 

Well I am getting this laptop tonight. My wife is gonna pick it up. I think he took it all apart already, so I'm wondering what is in store for me. I'll keep you updated.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:26 pm 

It is Sony Vaio VGN-N130g. It looks like the guy tried taking it apart himself already. There is a plastic "frame" that goes around the screen that was just off it in a bag. The are a bunch of screws missing on the crappy PLASTIC hinges!. I hope he has the screws or I can find replacements that will fit. I'm gonna get some professinal help on this. Gonna bring it to my school/shop. Why can't everyone just purchase ThinkPads?. Every laptop I seem to encounter seems flimsy, and almost like a toy compared to my Thinkpad. What I really want to tell this guy is he should get a ThinkPad and use his old junk as DOOR STOP!.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Laptops with broken displays make excellent home servers: viewtopic.php?p=2139#p2139

Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 am 

I'm getting some help with this at my School/Shop. We already ordered the screen, it was around $147 including shipping. I'll get some valuable experience doing this. It is nice because at school I have access to a lot of resources since it is very large repair shop also.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware