Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Mac vs PC memory
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:47 pm 

Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer but wanted to get a definitive answer regarding the differences (if any) for memory for Mac and PC's? Most stores have different categories for both Mac and PC memory (Newegg included) and from everything I can see about the modules from the same manufacturers, they are exactly the same from a specifications point of view. e.g. a Crucial PC2-5300 SODIMM in the PC laptop section is the same as a Crucial PC2-5300 SODIMM specified for use with a MacBook Pro in the Mac section. It seems that Mac memory is priced higher (just like most Mac hardware) for no good reason.

My guess is that there is no difference at all unless mac memory has to be somehow certified "Fit for use in a Mac".

My ex will be ordering a Macbook Pro and I just ordered a Thinkpad T61 and both use DDR2-667 and I was just going to load both of them up with the least expensive Crucial RAM from Newegg.

Thanks again for your amazing knowledge!

Post subject: Re: Mac vs PC memory
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:36 pm 

If it has the same manufacturer cat. number then it is the same.

Make sure it isn't ECC memory which utilizes a additional bit for parity checking. It will add to the cost because it sells in lower volume. If so, you can see if the Mac Pro notebook allows either ECC or non-ECC memory to be used (that is ECC optional). If not then you are stuck with ECC memory, which is a bit more secure from errors.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Intel based Macs *are* PCs, and use the same memory, the specific selection of which would normally be dictated by the motherboard chipset.

However because there can be design differences and incompatibilities between specific systems (even among PCs using the same chipset), many companies like to have you tell them the specific system you are using, after which they will offer their full guarantee of functionality in that system.

Macs cost more than their PC counterparts, so why shouldn't the parts and accessories follow suit? <g>

Many years ago I had a friend who owned a Porsche 914: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_914

He told me that he could buy engine parts at either a Porsche or Volkswagen dealer, but when they came in a Porsche box, they cost a lot more. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If it has the same manufacturer cat. number then it is the same.

Even if the part no. is different, the modules may be the same. For example, these refer to the same pair of modules, as looked up for different systems:

They are identical sets of modules, however the part numbers differ in order to indicate the system for which the "compatibility guarantee" will be valid: http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3374

Quote:
Make sure it isn't ECC memory which utilizes a additional bit for parity checking.

I'm not aware of any laptop that requires ECC memory, since none of the mobile chipsets support ECC. Note however that there is a very limited selection of 200-pin SODIMMs available in ECC (i.e. 72-bit) form: http://www.micron.com/products/modules/ ... R2%20SDRAM

I believe ECC SODIMMs are used in some server blades. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:41 pm 

Good information. Thanks Scott. Good to see Crucial not charging extra for the "Mac memory"

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware