Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Removable laptop drive enclosure
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:37 pm 

I have a removable laptop drive enclosure with a hitachi travelstar drive in it. It has been working fine since I had it. Friday I decided to reload my laptop. I used the File & Settings transfer wizard and also backed up some files using Acronis. Today I updated windows and re-downloaded some applications. I also used the file and settings transfer wizard and got my settings back. Anyway I had left the drive plugged in for a while and then about 20 minutes ago I decided to get my files back from acronis. I plugged it in and it showed up as a local drive and when I clicked on it is gave me an error message saying something to the effect of "File or directory corrupted" and won't allow me any access to the drive. Could the drive just be over-heated?. The enclosure doesn't have any fans or anything and I don't think it is meant to stay on all day. I thought it would be fine though. So what do you think?. Can I get my files back, is the drive dead?

Post subject: Re: Removable laptop drive enclosure
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:48 am 

Probably the system files are damaged. You may run chkdsk /f <drive letter:> or chkdsk /f/r <drive letter:> For more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176646

Kit

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 am 
Site Admin

2.5" drives don't normally generate enough heat to require a fan if the enclosure is properly designed. Could the drive have failed? Sure. Could the file system be corrupted even though the drive is working properly? Sure. Once your data was recovered (as much as possible) then just to be safe I'd remove the drive from the enclosure and temporarily install it in a desktop system via PATA (Parallel ATA) or SATA (Serial ATA), then download and run the diagnostics and test software from the drive manufacturer (DFT from Hitachi in this case): http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

True diagnostics like this cannot test drives in USB/FireWire enclosures, and instead require a direct PATA/SATA connection. If the drive is connected via eSATA, then it can be directly tested in the enclosure.

Note that if the 2.5" drive is PATA, you'll need an adapter like this to connect it to the standard 40 or 80 conductor PATA cable (as well as the power connector) used in desktop systems: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812203012

2.5" (laptop) SATA drives plug in using the same SATA data and power connectors as used by 3.5" (desktop) drives, so no adapters are necessary.

Using the DFT tool I'd run the full Media Scan, which overwrites the entire drive and can remap bad sectors with spares. Once the test is complete, if it passed then you could reinstall the drive in the enclosure and use the Windows Disk Management tool to repartition and reformat the drive from scratch. Let me know how things work out, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 am 

I tried that Kit. No luck at all, windows can't even access it. I'm think Scott may know of some software I can use to still save my files.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 am 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
...windows can't even access it. I'm think Scott may know of some software I can use to still save my files.

Indeed I do: viewtopic.php?p=2095#p2095

Let me know how it works out, Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:23 am 

Thought I would update Scott on this. I took the drive to my school/shop and used the Hitachi DFT program. We got an error that it had corrupt sectors. Tried the "repair sectors" option. Still couldn't access the date. Also tried the software that they usually use for data recovery at the shop their. Still couldn't access the data. Also tried writing 0's to the drive and that didn't even work. The data I had wasn't really that important anyway. I shipped the drive back to Hitachi for an RMA.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware