Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: "EXCEL" laptop fell down!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:24 pm 

Hi Scott,

An "EXCEL" Pentium II laptop fell down. On the RHS, the hinge got a crack, and some kind of bolts again on the RHS were loosened. Something interesting that this laptop is able to power-up, though it freezes at: Press Ctrl+Alt+S to enter Setup and F1 to continue. When you press F1, it continues and displays the following message: "INSERT A BOOT DISK..." I've tried to place XP in it's CD drive, to try to boot from the disk, but it displayed: "HARD DRIVE - NONE" and "CD-ROM -NONE..." I tried to enter the setup, by pressing Ctrl+Alt+S, but you cannot navigate the setup. No keyboard keys (ESC, Cursor, space bar...) seem to work at this point. The only option one has is to power it down. I thought that probably there are some internal components that might be real out of order. Am planning to open it and double check! Where could I center my search? What might be the real problem and fix?

Thanks,

- Kit

Last edited by Kit Emma on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "EXCEL" laptop fell down!
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Admin

The first thing to do would be to enter the BIOS Setup and verify that the HDD and ODD can be seen. If not the drives could be bad (likely), as well as the connection to them, and possibly the motherboard. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:52 am 

Unfortunately, keyboard keys are not working in the setup!

Kit

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 pm 

Hi Scott,

I tried to disassemble the laptop and tried to fasten the hard drive connector, keyboard connector, processor... Then reassembled the laptop again and tried to power it up. This time I tried to hit Ctrl+Alt+S, and I was able to enter the setup and configured the system to boot from the CD-ROM (DVD). I was able to install XP pro, but 2 things I noted:

#1: The system continued to display: press Ctrl+Alt+S to enter Setup and any key to continue. When you hit any key, it displayed "INSERT A BOOT DISK". At this point
the floppy disk drive was given the first priority in the Boot Sequence at each cold boot. So, I had to change that to a Hard drive, and it could boot.

#2. The system date and time was not always in sync with the actual date and time; it was always slow (behind the Actual Time & Date) at each boot and the system displayed "INVALID DATE AND TIME". I think that shows there's something wrong with the CMOS battery, though I did not pay any attention whether the battery was there or not. Can this battery be replaced? If so, what best type do you recommend for that kind of laptop?

Thanks,

- Kit

Last edited by Kit Emma on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:21 am 
Site Admin

The CMOS battery can easily be replaced in most laptops. Most use an inexpensive and easily available CR2032 lithium type battery. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:19 am 

Thanks Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware