Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: ThinkVantage software
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:33 pm 

Hi Scott,

I just received a new ThinkPad T61 (my first) and am preparing for a clean install of XP. As an experienced ThinkPad user yourself I am curious as to which Lenovo/IBM supplied applications and utilities you think are worth keeping and which can be removed?. I see no point in having unwanted utilities possibly running in the background.

My computer has the TPM chip but not the fingerprint reader, so am not sure if I need the client security software at all.

The Active Protection system looks like a good thing to keep.

I'm assuming that after a clean install the blue ThinkVantage button will not work any longer.

Any other suggested ThinkPad optimization ideas?

Thank you!
-Paul

P.S. Do you know when the Repairing Windows 2nd Ed will be out? I am currently on backorder.

Post subject: Re: ThinkVantage software
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

When installing Windows XP on ThinkPad systems, I recommend starting with a disc including only the Chipset and MassStorage driverpacks from http://DriverPacks.net, then install any ThinkPad specific drivers and other software manually.

You can find the software and drivers specific to your ThinkPad system here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... PAD-MATRIX

Besides the latest BIOS and drivers for any and all devices, the ThinkPad specific programs I do recommend installing include:

ThinkPad ACPI Power Management
    ThinkPad Configuration
    ThinkPad EasyEject Utility
    ThinkPad Hotkey Utility
    ThinkPad Keyboard Customizer
    ThinkPad Power Manager
    ThinkPad Bluetooth Software (if you have integrated Bluetooth)
    ThinkVantage Access Connections
    ThinkVantage Active Protection System
    ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software (if you have the fingerprint reader)

Some of these are not absolutely necessary, however I do feel that they are worthwhile. For example, many prefer to use Windows built-in wireless networking management software to control the wireless network adapter instead of Access Connections. The advantage with Access Connections is that it will detect both wired and wireless networks, and automatically turn on the WLAN card when there is no wired connection, and turn it off when there is.

On the other hand, there are many programs included on a default ThinkPad load that I don't recommend *at all*, as I believe they are not worth the resources they consume or the complexity they bring to the system. Currently that includes the following:

ThinkPad Help Center
    ThinkPad Message Center Plus
    ThinkPad Presentation Director
    ThinkPad Rescue and Recovery
    ThinkPad UltraNav Utility (you only need the UltraNav *driver*)
    ThinkPad UltraNav Wizard (you only need the UltraNav *driver*)
    ThinkVantage Away Manager
    ThinkVantage Client Security Solution
    ThinkVantage Maintenance Manager
    ThinkVantage Productivity Center
    ThinkVantage System Migration Assistant

Note that the blue ThinkVantage button can be used to enter the BIOS Setup or boot to the system recovery partition or host protected area (if one exists) on startup. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:45 am 

Thanks for your info Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:27 pm 

Scott,

do you know what the Ultranav Utility does? There doesn't seem to be any documentation regarding what the purpose of this software is. It certainly doesn't appear to add any functionality to the mouse control panel Ultranav tab :? .

Thx

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't run it in so long I forgot what it does. Nothing necessary or even useful, that's for sure. Somebody here http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=232906 mistakenly thinks that it enables the Fn-F8 key. They are obviously wrong as I don't have it installed and yet that key combination works (functionality provided by the Hotkey Driver package) fine for me. I say you should go ahead and install it to find out, so you can remind me what it does exactly, and why I deleted it. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 pm 

Actually I did install it and couldn't find any noticeable differences from what I had before (in the control panel) so I uninstalled it. I didn't see anything in the Programs folder either.

It's a mystery! <g>

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware