Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Disable dial-up modem?
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:23 pm 

Hi Scott,

I have a ThinkPad which comes with both an Ethernet adapter and a dial-up adapter. Since I don't use dial-up, is there any benefit to Windows if I disable the modem in device manager? (I can always re-enable if I ever need it).

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Disable dial-up modem?
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

If you truly aren't *ever* going to use the modem, then the best way to proceed would be to disable it in the BIOS Setup, then go into Device Manager, set it to show hidden devices, and then uninstall the modem driver.

However, note that the ThinkPad modem driver also installs NetWaiting and Digital Line Detect (I believe those are placed in the Startup folder), which are two background processes that I remove by default, even though do leave the modem itself enabled (I use it from time to time when traveling). Removing those unnecessary applications will decrease boot times, reduce the number of processes running, and increase the amount of available memory.

If you do disable the modem and uninstall the driver, you might still have to manually remove or uninstall the NetWaiting and Digital Line Detect programs. Let me know if that is the case or not... Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 pm 

Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, there is no option in the BIOS to disable the modem. What I did was uninstall the ThinkPad Modem software which also uninstalled the two services and then just disabled the modem in device manager. I tried uninstalling the modem but apparently it is just temporarily removed until the next reboot when it is re-detected and re-enabled with the Microsoft "ThinkPad Modem" generic driver.

If you happen to know if the modem is hidden in the bios somewhere, please let me know. The only other devices I have disabled in the BIOS are the serial and parallel ports (even though my ThinkPad doesn't have these ports -- well at least not externally).

-Paul

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

You didn't say which ThinkPad you have, but for example in my R60, the Modem configuration is the 3rd item listed under the "Config" menu: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-65602

I see that might not be found in the T61 for example: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-69927

You might try running the ThinkPad Configuration program, on all of the ThinkPads I've used it shows an option on the right hand side for enabling or disabling the internal modem.

If you can't disable it in hardware, then you won't really be able to unload the drivers, and disabling it in device manager won't make much of a difference. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm 

Ah sorry, just assumed that most ThinkPads would be the same with regard to the BIOS. Yes, I have a T61 which would explain why I couldn't find the modem option.

I'll try the ThinkPad Configuration program (if I can find it). Thanks again!

Also thanks for those BIOS simulator pages. I'm still unsure what some of the options do. Is there a detailed description somewhere of each option?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Descriptions are in the help for each setting, or in my book, or in the chipset docs, since they are normally chipset dependent. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:02 pm 

Thanks Scott.

BTW I am unable to find the Configuration utilty you mention. If it's something that is pre-loaded on the system then I'm out of luck as I already clean installed wiping out the Think utilities.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

You can download it from Lenovo, along with just about anything else that came on the system. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:03 pm 

OK I give up. I cannot find this utility anywhere. Is this it...http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-67254 ?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

That's not it.

Search for "thinkpad configuration xp": http://search.lenovo.com/search/?q=thin ... uration+xp

This is the first thing that comes up: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4ZFRG3

Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:57 pm 

It doesn't look like it supports the T61 (up to T60), I'll give it a try though. Oh and I am using Vista as I didn't feel like splurging for another XP licence. Thank you!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

You didn't indicate which OS, unfortunately the ThinkPad Configuration Utility doesn't work on Vista. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:30 pm 

DRAT! Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:29 pm 

Scott wrote:
I see that might not be found in the T61 for example: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-69927

Hi Scott, the modem setting is hidden under the Security, I/O Port Access submenu.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

There you go. I guess they decided to consolidate all of those external connection settings there in the latest systems. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:38 pm 

I could have sworn that I looked everywhere, maybe I didn't think the modem would ever be in the "Security" area. Oh well.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware