Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Touchpad re-enables self when T61 comes out of sleep
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:59 am 

On my XP Pro T61 machine, whenever the machine comes out of sleep mode, the touchpad is re-enabled, and I have to go back into Mouse > Ultranav in the Control Panel, and uncheck the touchpad box to disable it. I know I can disable the touchpad in the BIOS, but this causes updates to the Ultranav driver to choke. How can I keep the touchpad disabled when coming out of sleep mode?

I did find a short thread at http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/mess ... ad.id=4932 on this, but with no answers.

Post subject: Re: Touchpad re-enables self when T61 comes out of sleep
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

I've run with the touchpad disabled in the BIOS and via the UltraNav tab in the Mouse Properties, however I do seem to remember problems *initially* installing the UltraNav driver if the touchpad was disabled in the BIOS. Once the driver was installed (with the touchpad enabled in the BIOS), I was able to subsequently disable it in the BIOS and yet still install any driver updates manually (i.e *not* using ThinkVantage System Update).

To avoid any potential driver installation or update problems it is definitely better to leave the touchpad enabled in the BIOS, and instead disable it via the UltraNav tab in the Mouse Properties. This also allows you to quickly and easily re-enable it should any TrackPoint impaired person want to use the system (not me though, I'd tell them the touchpad is permanently broken <g>).

Note that when you disable the touchpad via the UltraNav tab in the Mouse Properties, it does *two* things: It immediately disables the touchpad function in memory, and *also* changes two settings in the registry, which cause the touchpad functionality to be disabled when the system restarts or resumes. In your case it appears the registry changes are not being made. My guess is you are running some sort of overzealous anti-malware or firewall program (i.e. ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, etc.) that has its teeth into the registry and is preventing the UltraNav driver from making the necessary changes. Unfortunately by over-protecting the system these types of programs end up causing more problems than they solve, which is why I don't use them on my own or my client's systems. When troubleshooting any sort of problem like this (or any problem with Windows in general), the *first* step I take is to disable or uninstall any such software to see if it might be the cause.

Try disabling any and all anti-malware or firewall software, then make the setting change again. My guess is that it will now work as intended. You could also change the registry settings manually, to do this open notepad and create a new (empty) text file called DisableTouchpad.reg, then cut and paste the following text into it:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Disable touchpad on ThinkPad UltraNav
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2]
"EnableButtonAction"=dword:00000000
"DisableDevice"=dword:00000001

Save the reg file, then double-click on it to merge the contents into the registry, which should by itself solve the problem. If not, then run Regedit and check the contents of the TouchPadPS2 key to insure that the two values have changed to the above settings, if not then change them manually or disable whatever other software you are running that might try and lock down the registry. Let me know what you find out, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:13 pm 

I would count myself as TrackPoint impaired <g>. It just seems really hard to position the cursor using it. I want to like using it but right now it is just too cumbersome compared with the trackpad.

Any tips for a TrackPoint novice? "TrackPoint for Dummies"?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

The TrackPoint is *way* more precise than a touchpad, plus using it you can traverse the entire screen without having to lift your finger as you do with a touchpad. All I can say is that anybody who I've convinced to adopt it would never go back. By comparison a touchpad is clumsy and slow. The real fun is when I teach my seminars and the people are amazed at how seamlessly fast and precise I move the pointer, type, move some more, etc. They all think I'm using a mouse, but in fact the TrackPoint is even faster and more efficient than a mouse for most things. Which is of course why I use a trackpoint keyboard on my desktop systems as well.

It can help to have the settings right, normally I recommend setting the TrackPoint sensitivity (TrackPoint Properties) to the 2nd tick from the far right, along with setting the Pointer Options; Motion; close to the fastest setting (far right) and enabling the Enhance pointer precision option. I find these settings offer the right amount of touch and negative inertia http://www.sigchi.org/chi95/proceedings ... cb_bdy.htm (i.e. bounce back) http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/user/tp/ninertia.html for optimum performance. No touchpad can even come close, if it weren't for the TrackPoint, I'd have to carry a mouse everywhere with my laptop, or suffer an extreme loss of productivity. Scott

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:13 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I'm not a touch typist which probably doesn't help. Do you always use the same finger for the TrackPoint? Index finger?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

TrackPoints are best for touch-typists because you never have to take your hands off the keyboard, and your fingers never leave the home row. Using an index finger to control the TrackPoint is indeed the proper technique. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware