Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Lenovo System Interface Driver
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:30 am 

Hi Scott,

do you know what this driver does? On my T61 this driver causes my LCD to always power up at less than full brightness which I then have to manually change with the brightness keys. In my power settings the brightness is correctly set to "Full" when on AC power.

When I remove the driver the display comes up correctly after boot. I haven't noticed any issues so far with having the driver uninstalled and so was just curious if I actually need it.

The description at the Lenovo "Read Me" page ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mo ... if11ww.txt only indicates:

Lenovo System Interface Driver works as the programming and data interface which is commonly used for Lenovo drivers, utilities and application programs for Microsoft Windows Vista.

P.S. This is with a Vista clean install

Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: Lenovo System Interface Driver
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:42 am 
Site Admin

From what I gather, that driver is for handling the interface to SMM (System Management Mode), which is invoked via a System Management Interrupt (SMI). You'll find a detailed section on SMM on p. 78-79 in URPCs 18th. ed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078973 ... elsupgr-20

SMM was first introduced by Intel as part of the Intel 386SL mobile processor in Oct. 1990, and was originally used for low-level power management in early mobile systems. The master reference for SMM can be found in Chapter 26 (System Management) of the Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual Volume 3B: http://www.intel.com/design/processor/m ... 253669.pdf

While initially used mainly for power management, SMM was designed to be used by any low-level system functions that need to function independent of the OS and other software on the system. In modern systems, this includes the following:

■ ACPI and APM power management functions
    ■ USB legacy (keyboard and mouse) support
    ■ USB boot (drive emulation)
    ■ Password and security functions
    ■ Thermal monitoring
    ■ Fan speed monitoring
    ■ Reading/writing CMOS RAM
    ■ BIOS updating
    ■ Logging memory ECC errors
    ■ Logging hardware errors besides memory
    ■ Wake and Alert functions such as Wake On Lan (WOL)

Apparently Vista needs an additional interface for drivers invoking SMM, which was not required under XP. However, note that the latest version of this driver indicates "(New) Support for Windows XP.", although until now I've never seen it offered for or installed on any systems running XP. Since SMM/SMI is a low-level CPU/Chipset function, it might be required under XP for future systems using upcoming Intel chipsets. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:31 pm 

Thanks for that info Scott. I think I'll try a new clean install and install the driver earlier in the cycle and see if that helps.

Regards, Paul

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Helps what? I assume that the other drivers that depend on it simply wouldn't install unless you had that installed first. Of course a clean install will fix many other problems... Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:35 pm 

Helps with the brightness issue I described earlier. I followed instructions for a clean install where this driver was installed late in the driver sequence (even after the Power Management driver) so I'm going to try to install it right after the Chipset, Graphics and Storage drivers.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:54 am 
Site Admin

I doubt it will make any difference, if any other drivers were dependent on that driver, they wouldn't install unless the system interface driver was already there. Drivers that don't depend on it (i.e. chipset, video, storage, etc.) won't be affected whether it is loaded or not. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware