Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: My Current Books and DVDs
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Upgrading and Repairing PCs 20th Edition:

My #1 most popular book (and the best-selling PC hardware book world-wide) is Upgrading and Repairing PCs, currently available in a new 20th Edition that includes an all-new DVD with nearly 2 hours of video training. Upgrading and Repairing PCs 20th Edition is available as a book/DVD combo as well as in stand-alone PDF or EPUB "eBook" files.

For over 20 years, Upgrading and Repairing PCs has been the industry's #1 guide to PC hardware: the single source for reliable, step-by-step information on identifying and fixing problems, adding hardware, optimizing performance, and building new PCs from scratch. The 20th Edition has been completely updated to focus on today's technologies and today's maintenance challenges. From processors and motherboards, memory to storage, video to power, and networking to Internet connectivity, it's all here: technical details, practical insights, and step-by-step solutions to difficult problems. Updates include new CPUs, solid state drives (SSDs), hard disk drives, form factors, chipsets, power supplies, memory and a whole lot more.

The 20th edition represents a significant rewrite, with new material added and old material consolidated. In addition, based on reader feedback the new 20th edition changes back to a hard cover binding that had been a staple of the book for so many years.

Finally, the book includes an all-new widescreen DVD with nearly 2 hours of in-depth video training. Topics on the DVD include:

• Hard Drive History and Evolution
  • Hard Drive Disassembly and Destruction
  • Up Close: Running Hard Drives Exposed
  • External Storage and Backup
  • Power Supply Disassembly and Tour
  • Electrolytic Capacitor Failures (Bad Caps)

The 20th edition comes out more than 21 years after the book was first professionally published. When the previous edition came out I was interviewed about my perspective on changes on both the book and the industry over 20 years:

*NEW* CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Cert Guide, 3rd Edition:

• Master every topic on both new 2012 A+ exams.
  • Includes coverage of Windows 7 (added in the 2011 tests)
  • CD Features 2 Complete Sample Exams (448 questions)
    Detailed explanations of correct and incorrect answers
    Multiple test modes
    Random questions and orders of answers
  • Start-to-finish A+ preparation from the world's #1 PC hardware expert, Scott Mueller!

This book and DVD is ideal for anybody who needs to pass the new 2012 version of the A+ test.

DVD: Build a PC with Scott Mueller:

My "Build a PC" DVD features two hours of personal instruction on buildiing your own PC from scratch. I show you how to choose the right hardware and put it all together. Perfect for beginners, I take you under the hood to show you exactly how to build a PC right, the first time. Not only is this designed to enable a novice to properly spec. out and build a system from scratch, but it also contains numerous tips, tricks and information for experienced builders as well. For example, one of the segments shows how to deal with FPIO (Front Panel Input/Output) connections that trouble even more advanced builders. Includes a companion booklet.

Upgrading and Repairing Laptops, 2nd Edition:

Laptops have become more popular than desktop systems in many markets. Have you ever wanted a book like Upgrading and Repairing PCs, but written specifically to cover laptop and notebook computers? Upgrading and Repairing Laptops is the most in-depth hardware book covering laptops, notebooks and other portable PCs. Upgrading and Repairing Laptops, 2nd Edition includes a unique DVD covering laptop hardware.

Upgrading and Repairing Windows, 2nd Edition:

I had many requests to do a Windows book with the same "nuts and bolts" feel as well as the comprehensive and detailed coverage as my other Upgrading and Repairing Books. Upgrading and Repairing Windows was the result, and it is currently out in a new 2nd Edition. Upgrading and Repairing Windows covers all versions of Windows, emphasizing Windows XP and Vista in detail. Upgrading and Repairing Windows is available as a book/DVD combo as well as a stand-alone PDF "eBook" file.

The DVD included with the book covers both Windows Vista and Windows XP. Topics include the differences between all of the various Windows editions and versions, coverage of the most important improvements in Vista, and reasons why you might even want to stay with XP instead. Also covered are Vista and XP installation tips and tricks, updating Windows, dealing with product activation, and more.

Note: The appendices (bonus elements) for Upgrading and Repairing Windows, 2nd Edition are available by clicking on the Downloads tab in the first InformIT Link above.

Upgrading and Repairing Servers:

Upgrading and Repairing Servers includes a DVD showing how to build an inexpensive yet high performance entry-level pedestal or rack mount server from scratch, as well as presentations on the components used to build a server including RAID controllers and drive arrays. Upgrading and Repairing Servers is available as a book/DVD combo as well as a stand-alone PDF "eBook" file.

Upgrading and Repairing Networks, 5th Edition:

Upgrading and Repairing Networks is the most comprehensive, detailed, and yet easy to read book on PC networking, currently available in a 5th Edition. Upgrading and Repairing Networks covers all aspects of networking PCs, from hardware to software, including wireless networking technologies. Upgrading and Repairing Networks is available as a book/DVD combo as well as a stand-alone PDF "eBook" file.

Older Edition Books and DVDs:

Because the DVDs that come with my books are unique and not normally sold separately, many people purchase older editions of my books just to get the unique DVDs! If you are interested in more video training, there are several previous book/DVD combos still available, along with a few other unique video products.

Upgrading and Repairing PCs 19th Edition (20th Anniversary):

The 19th Edition book/DVD combo includes a 2-hour DVD with detailed information on PC components including motherboards, processors, chipsets, chassis, and drives. It also features a complete "Build a PC" section that covers building a PC from scratch. Topics on the DVD include:

Main Menu:

• 01-Processor Design & Evolution
  • 02-Processors & Chipsets
  • 03-Motherboard Tour
  • 04-Memory Types & Technologies
  • 05-Chassis, Cooling & Power Supplies
  • 06-Hard Disk Drives

Let's Build a PC submenu:
  • 07-Build Tools
  • 08-Preparing the Chassis
  • 09-Processor & RAM Installation
  • 10-Installing the Motherboard
  • 11-Drive Installation & Wrap-Up

The 18th Edition book/DVD combo includes a 2-hour DVD with detailed information on SOHO (Small Office Home Office) networking including routers, switches, network interface cards (NICs), wireless networking, cable/DSL modems, security, setup and more.

The 2-hour DVD included with the 17th Edition hardcover book contains segments on dual-core processors, motherboards, chassis, power supplies, memory and more. It is designed to build upon the 3.5-hour dual-layer DVD previously included with my 16th Edition book, one of the most comprehensive and popular training DVDs I've ever made.

The 16th Edition DVD features video segments with detailed instructions for building a complete PC from scratch, including installing the OS and drivers. One of the segments goes into extensive detail on the characteristics for good chassis design and cooling. You might find it interesting to know that both the 16th and 17th Edition DVDs were captured, edited, and mastered on the very same system you see me build in the 16th Edition video. Previously the only way to get the 16th Edition DVD was to order the complete 16th Edition book/DVD combo, however the 16th Edition DVD was so comprehensive and well-received that you can now get it as a stand-alone product available for under $10.

If you really like the video training included with my newer books and would like to see more, I would highly recommend these older editions as well:

The first Editions of Upgrading and Repairing Laptops and Upgrading and Repairing Windows are also still available, and each includes unique DVDs that are different from the newer editions.

For even more PC Hardware video training, I produced a very comprehensive 6-hour Video Training Course. It is currently out of print, but you can find links to new and used versions here:

Finally, I produced a stand-alone 2-hour VHS video available which dates back to the 12th Edition of Upgrading and Repairing PCs (published in 2000). The 12th Edition book included a CD with 1.5 hours of compressed video, while this 2-hour VHS tape was available separately and included an extra half hour of additional material. The VHS tape is also of higher video and sound quality as it does not use the heavy compression required to fit the material on the CD back then. You can find new old stock or used copies from several sources:

Note: I have excess inventory of MOST of my books (both new and old), which I can offer to my loyal readers and forum subscribers at heavily discounted prices. I sign these copies, including a personal note or dedication at your request. If you are interested please see this post for more information, or send a message to forum@scottmueller.com.

For even more information on my latest books and DVDs see UpgradingAndRepairingPCs.com

Thanks for your interest, Scott.
Last bumped by Scott on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:29 am.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware