Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Laptop power up problem
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:09 pm 

I have a Compaq EVO N600c and I tried to increase the memory in each slot total of two slots. I add two 256 PC 133 memory modules I put in and tried to power on no picture
I got a yellow light blinking and a green light for the battery for a second then it turn off.
So, I figured the memory wasnt being reconized so I pulled the memory modules and put back in the the two 128 memory modules and now the laptop wont boot up gives a flashing yellow light and then a green light for the battery which only stay on for a couple of seconds then turns off. I switched the memory with the battery in the laptop which is pretty dead anyways the ac adpater was not plugged in when I switched the modules. Trying to understand what went wrong? Any ideas? I pull the battery and plugged in the ac adapter only with the orignal memory modules plugged in still no go.
I havent tried to pull the hard drive and cd player yet. Would the 256mb memory modules cause some type of power issuse?

Thanks, Craig

Post subject: Re: Laptop power up problem
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

You should always remove the main battery when working on a laptop, leaving it in is like working on a desktop system that is plugged in. That being said, if you can't get the system to work in the original configuration then obviously something has gone bad. Try running the laptop with no battery. If that doesn't work, then verify that the AC adapter is functional, test the voltage output with a meter and replace it with a known good spare. If that doesn't help then possibly the memory or the motherboard are damaged. Replace the memory with a single known-good spare module, if that doesn't work then you may be looking at a defective motherboard. Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware