Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: tech net
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:10 pm 

Scott, a technet subscription is $350 and $250 for a renewal. With that subscription I can download a lot of software. eg. win xp, win vista, win 7, MS office etc. How free am I to use those ISOs? Can I take a download of Vista and install it on 10 machines if I want to will I be limited to one install? I am very interested in buying a subscription but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I do. Thanks as always.

Post subject: Re: tech net
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

According to Microsoft: "Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in production environments. TechNet Plus subscriptions include the most recent Microsoft software version. Visit Microsoft Software License Terms for details on your use rights for evaluation software and other components of the TechNet Subscription product."

Basically the TechNet software is for evaluation purposes. If you read the license terms, it states "Single User License. If you acquire a single user license, one user may install and use copies of the software on any of your devices." I'm not a lawyer but take that to mean that yes, you could install it on 10 machines for evaluation purposes, as long as they are all yours and you will be the only user. This is not the same as an OEM, Upgrade or Retail license. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:49 pm 

Thanks Scott great answer. I guess I should have included this in my original question but your answer made me think of this. Can I use those ISOs to repair customers PCs. I mean it really shouldn't make a difference since I would be using their key but the installation isn't somehow different that would prevent me from doing that right?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

I think you can do anything you like with the ISOs. The important thing is that whatever you install on your customer's systems uses the customer's product keys. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:25 pm 

Seems that MS has moved the goalposts

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:03 pm 

Well I just looked and I am also limited to 5 activations through technet. I then looked in the FAQ and this is what they still have posted regarding amount of activations.

Quote:
Multiple Activation Keys for older products typically are 10 activation keys. As subscribers often have legitimate needs to install and reinstall software more often, we are working to increase activations available for keys, or to enable issuance of additional keys. Going forward we plan to continue to support this business need and increase the number of activations for subscribers, or enable multiple keys to be claimed.

I hope it goes back up to 10 since this will do nothing to stop piracy anyways.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:20 pm 

I know this topic is very old but I thought I would follow up on it since I just came back into this forum in a long time. You can not use a technet ISO to repair a commercial installation of windows. I have tried it several times using the technet ISO but the commercial key it game me an error telling me the key was invalid. Thanks a lot MS.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:15 pm 

Can you put in the technet activation key, repair it and then change the key?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the follow up. Note that while that might be true for an unmodified ISO, if you change the Channel ID (part of the Product ID) contained in the setupp.ini file, you can change the type of key the installation will accept. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS