Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: What Should I Consider in Moving from 32-bit to a 64-bit OS?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:14 pm 

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hi Scott,

For the first time, I'm seriously considering moving from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. (Depending on my decision after considering the response(s) to my previous post, I'll decide whether the OS will be Vista Ultimate or something else.)

I would expect a faster system with the ability to handle an ENORMOUS amount of memory if I moved to a 64-bit OS. The one big question mark in my mind, however, is about software.

As alluded to in a previous post, therefore, here are my questions:

1. What are the benefits of a 64-bit OS?

2. Is there a fair amount of software available in 64-bit versions?

3. Is it possible to run an exact 32-bit emulation of Vista Ultimate inside of the 64-bit version of Ultimate in order to use the 32-bit versions of software I already own? Would there be reduced performance in such a case?

4. In asking the above question, I was thinking of something similar to a program (SoftPC) used on Macs at school. However, I've been reading about Virual PC, which seems to be something completely different. Any thoughts?

5. Now that I've got 4GB of memory in my R61, is this the maximum amount of memory that I can have (in my laptop) for use with a 64-bit OS, and will this pose any problems if this is all I can have?

6. Is there anything else I should be aware of in my considerations of a potential shift to a 64-bit OS?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I like options. Moving to a 64-bit OS might seem a bit counter-intuitive since it might actually reduce the breadth of my software base. However, this is an initial investigation into an area I actually know nothing about, so before I can make a properly informed decision, I need to be informed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Paul

Post subject: Re: What Should I Consider in Moving from 32-bit to a 64-bit OS?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
1. What are the benefits of a 64-bit OS?

Access to more than 4GB of RAM is the primary benefit. Another would be the ability to run native 64-bit apps (which should perform better than 32-bit counterparts), but at this point those are few and far between.

Quote:
2. Is there a fair amount of software available in 64-bit versions?

There is very little, actually. In fact the only thing I can name off the top of my head is Adobe CS4.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to run an exact 32-bit emulation of Vista Ultimate inside of the 64-bit version of Ultimate in order to use the 32-bit versions of software I already own? Would there be reduced performance in such a case?

Yes, but you don't need to since 32-bit software (but not *drivers*) will run as-is on a 64-bit OS.

Quote:
4. In asking the above question, I was thinking of something similar to a program (SoftPC) used on Macs at school. However, I've been reading about Virual PC, which seems to be something completely different. Any thoughts?

You can use Virtual PC to run 16-bit software (which is incompatible with a 64-bit OS). A lot of older 32-bit software has 16-bit installers, so even though the software would technically run, you can't get it installed. Using Virtual PC to run a 32-bit OS like Windows XP or 32-bit Vista can solve that problem as well.

Quote:
5. Now that I've got 4GB of memory in my R61, is this the maximum amount of memory that I can have (in my laptop) for use with a 64-bit OS, and will this pose any problems if this is all I can have?

64-bit Windows versions are limited to supporting up to either 8, 16, 128, or 192GB of physical memory, depending on the version.

Quote:
6. Is there anything else I should be aware of in my considerations of a potential shift to a 64-bit OS?

Only that you will need 64-bit drivers for all of your devices, and that you will be unable to run 16-bit software natively. The latter can be solved by using something like Virtual PC to run a guest 32-bit OS. Scott.

Post subject: Re: What Should I Consider in Moving from 32-bit to a 64-bit OS?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 am 

I've noticed lately that there aren't many applications that don't support 64 bit anymore. Just something I happen to notice lately when installing things.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS