Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Which Unix-like OS Distro Should a New User Use to Learn On?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:28 pm 

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hi Scott,

In an earlier post, I mentioned I was considering moving from the Windows OS to Linux. There are so many different versions (i.e. distributions) of this OS that I'm at a loss to know which one I should be focusing on in order to start learning how to use Linux. I've been considering Ubuntu, SimplyMEPIS, Debian, and Slackware (the latter I think might be somewhat more difficult due to its more text-centric/command-line use). I'm not opposed to using any OS without a heavy reliance on a GUI. My main focus is to learn a Unix-like OS in order to really understand how it works as quickly and simply as possible and be able to use it to accomplish the same things I'm already using Windows for, such as wordprocessing, spreadsheets, programming, and all sorts of multimedia activities (watching movies, listening to music, 3D rendering, etc.). BTW, I've been saying "Unix-like" OS because I don't want to exclude any of the FreeBSD variants (like OpenBSD) from consideration.

Thus, in your experience, what is the best (i.e. easiest in terms of understanding and using) Unix-like system for a user new to such OSes to learn on?

Another question... should I be considering a 32-bit or 64-bit Unix-like OS?

Given that I've got 4GB of memory in my R61, will this pose a problem in being able to effectively and efficiently use any Unix-like OS to be considered?

TIA for your suggestions!

Paul

Post subject: Re: Which Unix-like OS Distro Should a New User Use to Learn On?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

As per the other thread, I'm also planning on looking for alternatives to Windows. But as of yet I've done very little investigation or testing, so there isn't anything I can recommend. Please post your experiences as you try various distros, I'd be interested in what you find.

Quote:
Another question... should I be considering a 32-bit or 64-bit Unix-like OS?

At this point, I'd say definitely 64-bit. I see 2010 as the year 64-bit becomes fully mainstream (some would say that has already happened).

Quote:
Given that I've got 4GB of memory in my R61, will this pose a problem in being able to effectively and efficiently use any Unix-like OS to be considered?

That amount of memory should be able to handle anything out there right now. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:35 pm 

Ubuntu and Kubuntu have a Live disc install (similar to BartPE and Windows PE)

Once the disc is running you can then install the OS (very slick :)

To avoid any install problems I recommend going out and getting a cheap Hard Disk to test, that way your current system will be completly unaffected (but ensure you disconnect/disable your current drives!)

there is a new version (9.10) just around the corner, so I would wait!

oh and Happy Windows7 Birthday, I never did get round to installing a retail copy of Vista for anyone..... (but done lots of OEM versions!!)

hmm I better get some Win7 install media!

There is also the "Wubi" system which bascaily creats a large file within Windows, avoiding partition issues

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#wubi

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:30 pm 

I rather prefer Mintover Umbutu.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:27 pm 

Looks nice! I'd love to see a retail box of that!

I can see Scott needing to start a Linux room on the forum, or maybe changing Windows to Operating systems! :)

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS